“There is no such thing as a local business anymore. The integration of global finance and investment means the only borders that exist reside in the ambitions of the people we work with.”
— Bruce Heddle, head of the Maddocks international practice
Maddocks has produced Doing Business in Australia, a publication for organisations and individuals looking to invest in Australia. Doing Business in Australia is a straightforward and informative guide that outlines the main legal and commercial issues that you need to be aware of when investing in Australia. Download an electronic copy of the publication by clicking on the cover image.
The growth in the Australian economy over the past 20 years has seen it become an increasingly popular destination for foreign investment. While much of the investment has been in mining and resources, the Australian economy has also been driven by investment in property and development, agribusiness, health and education services, professional services, and major infrastructure projects.
Maddocks works with global clients wanting to invest into Australia, as well as Australian clients investing in opportunities overseas. To this end, we have formed strategic alliances with Australian and international law firms to expand our business across international borders.
This means our partners regularly work with lawyers around the world on cross-border transactions and disputes and are well attuned to working co-operatively and cohesively in such situations. As a consequence, many of our lawyers have off-shore legal experience.
That is why we have a 133-year track record of working with our clients to help them navigate the ever-changing road ahead.
Our recent global experience
- Advising a United States multinational on competition and franchising issues in Australia.
- Acting for a United State-listed corporation in exploration and mining joint ventures and farm-in/farm-out arrangements in respect of local tenements, including dealings with the Foreign Investment Review Board.
- Acting for a Canadian company on an A$50 million takeover offer of a leading Australian food manufacturer.
- Acting for a leading Japanese trading company in its acquisition of a leading Australian grain trading company.
- Advising the Australian subsidiary of a global medical products and services company on the global divestment of one of its services to a Japan-based medical devices manufacturer.
- Advising a Singapore-based company on the acquisition and subsequent disposal of a New South Wales mining interest.
- Acting for a Malaysian property and financial services company on its purchase of a major international in Melbourne’s central business district.
- Advising a Malaysian property company on a development at Little Bay in Sydney.
- Advised a French company on the acquisition of an electrical wholesale business based in New Zealand.
- Acting for a dual Hong Kong and Singapore listed group on its acquisition of the target group of companies that own a major international hotel in Sydney.
- Advising a Chinese development company on a major residential and retail development in the Melbourne central business district.
- Advising a leading Chinese property group on the off-the-plan sale of more than 400 apartments in Sydney’s central business district.