An online toolkit to help Australian councils manage the delivery of large, complex or innovative local government infrastructure projects was formally launched today by the Victorian Local Government Minister, Tim Bull MP.
The Major Projects Guidance for Local Government has been developed by national law firm Maddocks, EY, Infrastructure Partnerships Australia (IPA) and the Local Government Managers Australia (LGMA), in consultation with councils, industry, state governments and the Commonwealth.
It has been prepared specifically for local government across Australia, and is designed to take into account the unique financial, legislative and political constraints on local government in each jurisdiction.
LGMA President Mark Withers said, “The LGMA is pleased that this partnership has resulted in such a high quality, free resource to assist councils in their planning and delivery of infrastructure projects. Councils are under increasing pressure from a costs and community expectation perspective so it’s important we facilitate collaboration with the private sector to help councils achieve efficient and successful project outcomes.”
The Major Projects Guidance for Local Government includes practical information on the key steps in the life cycle of a major project from initial project assessment through to project review. There is a particular emphasis on the planning and project establishment stages. This includes guidance in relation to:
- defining the project – identifying the service or business need underpinning the project
- resourcing – what resources may be required and what systems should be established to facilitate the smooth delivery of the project
- use of external advisors – best use of advisors to ensure project objectives are achieved while maintaining value for money in relation to project transaction costs
- legal requirements, business case development, financial modelling and commercial framework
- stakeholder relations
- funding and procurement options – traditional and alternative procurement models and funding options including private financing.
Above: Victorian Local Government Minister, Tim Bull MP presents
The documents are available to download for free – either in whole or in part from here
To register interest in an upcoming workshops exploring the toolkit in more detail, or for further information about the Major Projects Guidance for Local Government, or to arrange an interview please contact:
Senior Manager – Communications
Tel: +61 3 9258 3545