Andrew is a Special Counsel in the Commercial Group who specialises in Australian taxation law (State and Federal).
He has extensive experience advising a wide range of clients with navigating their income tax, stamp duty, GST and land tax obligations. Andrew’s expertise in stamp duty covers all Australian State and Territory jurisdictions. He has the unique ability to provide clients with both indirect and direct tax structuring and strategy advice and is able to draft the legal agreements to implement such advice.
Andrew also provides advice to clients that are being investigated by State and Federal tax authorities and has successfully assisted many clients with resolving and settling tax and duty disputes.
He is also one of the best known advisors of the Growth Areas Infrastructure Contribution (GAIC) and regularly provides property development clients developing land in Melbourne’s growth corridors with GAIC strategy and management advice.
His broad range of clients range from some of the best known names in the Australian property development industry, high net worth individuals and family groups and their accountants and advisors, Australian and multinational businesses and many State and Federal Government Departments and local government Councils.
Andrew also contributes to tax policy within the property industry by being a current member of the Taxation Committee of the Property Council of Australia.
- Tax structuring and advice (domestic and international)
- Income tax and Capital Gains Tax (CGT)
- Stamp duty (all Australian jurisdictions)
- Goods and Services Tax (GST)
- Land tax structuring
- State and federal tax investigations and disputes
- Drafting legal documentation to implement tax structuring
- Advising property developers in relation to complex stamp duty, land tax, GST and GAIC matters on large development sites in Melbourne’s growth corridors as well as infill development apartment and townhouse developments.
- Drafting development agreements and relationship documentation for many property developers.
- Advising corporate and family groups on tax structuring and restructures and drafting implementation documentation.
- Managing and resolving State Revenue Office (SRO) and Australia Taxation Office (ATO) tax investigation, audits and disputes.
- Advising multinational corporate groups on the income tax and stamp duty implications from the sale and acquisition of subsidiaries and investing into Australia.
- Advising clients on discrete aspects of Australian income tax matters and tax consolidation advice including the eligibility of entities to become members of income tax and Multiple Entry Consolidated groups, the ability to transfer tax losses, Annual Compliance Arrangements advice/calculations and exit advice.
- Tax due diligence and drafting tax clauses in mergers and acquisitions legal documentation.
- Regular preparation of ATO and SRO private and class rulings.
- Advising clients on stamp duty implications in multiple states on the sale of businesses.