Annette has been a lawyer for over 20 years and has extensive experience in regulatory issues, litigation and alternative dispute resolution in the Construction and Engineering sector. Recently her practice has focused on prosecution enforcement and administrative law with an emphasis on building regulatory matters. Previously at the Victorian Bar from 1993 to 1996, Annette is able to use her advocacy experience when appearing before the Courts and statutory bodies. Annette’s previous work experience included litigation and alternative dispute resolution in the construction and engineering sector and, prior to joining the Victorian Bar, working as an associate to a Supreme Court judge.
- Building regulation
- Disciplinary inquiries
- Administrative law
- Statutory interpretation
- Local government
- Litigation and dispute resolution
Annette’s experience includes:
- Conducting prosecutions for government clients including Victorian Building Authority, Architects Registration Board of Victoria (ARBV), Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources and local government. Broad experience in assessing and advising on evidence and drafting charges for offences under various Acts
- Appearing as Counsel assisting before the Building Practitioners’ Board (BPB) on inquiries into the conduct of registered practitioners
- Acting for ARBV on complaints, disciplinary inquiries and Board’s powers, procedures and functions
- Preparing disputes for trial and mediation, including pleadings, witness statements and position papers, and liaising with experts and witnesses for the conduct of litigation.
- Acting on behalf of Department of Education and Training (DET) in a building dispute, including liaising with experts and preparing matter for mediation.
- Providing advice to Councils on potential litigation
- Providing training to Board Members on their powers and functions in relation to disciplinary matters
- Providing training to local and state government authorised officers in relation to all aspects of an investigation – including from exercising investigative powers and interviewing through to brief preparation and giving evidence in Court and Tribunal proceedings
- Involvement in preparing a manual on the powers and functions of BPB when hearing disciplinary matters
- Acting in judicial review proceedings
- Involvement in appeals to BPB on behalf of BPB and local government
- Involvement with VCAT proceeding on behalf of DET on suspension of approval to operate a family day care service.