Anthony is recognised as one of Australia’s leading government lawyers, with expertise in commercial, contracting, technology and IP matters. He has spent around 25 years advising on some of Australia’s largest commercial and government transactions.
Anthony has been ranked in the Chambers Asia-Pacific as one of only four Band 1 Government lawyers in Australia. Chambers stated that he was an “outstanding lawyer, not only for his ‘wealth of experience’ but because he is ‘fearless and frank in his advice’ and is ‘tenacious’ when he is negotiating for his client”. Anthony has also been ranked as one of Australia’s leading government lawyers in the Australian Financial Review’s Best Lawyers from 2008-2017, rated as “highly commended” for technology and IT work by Australasian Legal Business, is “recommended” by the Doyle’s Guide to Intellectual Property and “recommended” by Doyle’s Guide as a leading Corporate, Commercial and Procurement Lawyer in Canberra.
- Government procurement and contracting
- Corporate, governance and commercial
- Information technology
- Intellectual Property
- Procurement and grant programs
- Principal legal advisor to Defence CIO Group on the Data Centre Migration Project, the first stage of the Next Generation Desktop Project and the JP9711-1 Core Simulation Capability Procurement, including in each case advising on the structuring, source selection process and request for tender (RFT) and contract drafting, negotiations and finalisation.
- Principal legal advisor to Defence Capability Acquisition and Sustainment Group on the AU$1B LAND2072 Phase 2B Battlefield Communications Network acquisition project, the AU$3B JP2048 Amphibious Ships project, the A$3.7B AIR 9000 Additional Troop Lift Helicopter project and the AU$1.3B AIR 87 Armed Reconnaissance Helicopter Acquisition project, including in each case advising on the structuring and source selection process, contract drafting and negotiations and subsequent contract implementation, dispute management and various renegotiations.
- Advising on tender/contract drafting and negotiations for various Defence technology matters (CAMM2: RAAF Maintenance IT system, NetMAARS: RAAF Maintenance IT system, JP 2048 Ph 3: Watercraft, Stonefish Exercise Mine, JP2084: Surface Wave Radar, AIR 5376: Hornet Aircrew Training Simulator, JP2008: MILSATCOM, SEA 1442: Communications network).
- Principal legal adviser to DHS in respect of the $1B Welfare Payment Infrastructure Transformation (WPIT) Programme including drafting and negotiating contracts to engage the Core Software Vendor and a panel of system integrators.
- Principal legal adviser to DHS on the $0.5B Managed Telecommunications Services Agreement with Telstra.
- Principal legal adviser to DHS on the multi-staged procurement process, to appoint a systems integrator to undertake a project to implement a new Aged Care payments system.
- Principal legal adviser to DHS on the renegotiation of its major supplier agreements with IBM and SAP; the establishment of a new ICT Services Panel; the implementation of the MyGov project; the negotiation of a new arrangement with Rocket Software; and the implementation of Voice Biometrics.
- Advising Health on the outsourcing of its ICT environment to IBM and the outsourcing of its IT infrastructure, Office Services and Warehousing and Distribution Services.
- Advising Health on a number of major patent and copyright disputes; the drafting of its IP policy and standard IP contract clauses; the IP provisions in contracts for a number of significant IT projects; software disputes; actions for misuse of its logos on foreign websites; and the patenting of the BRCA1 and 2 genes.
- External legal counsel to the Asset Sales Branch, Finance for its major asset sale and IT outsourcing projects including in respect of sales of Telstra, airports, ADI, ASC and ANL.
- Advising the Grains R&D Corporation, CSIRO and private parties on the establishment of complex joint venture Agreements for the undertaking of research into genetics.
- Advising on the corporatisation/transition of former corporate Commonwealth entities the Sugar R&D Corporation into Sugar Research Australia Ltd (SRA) and the Forest & Wood Products R&D Corporation into Forest & Wood Products Australia Ltd (FWPA) including advising on the transfer of assets and liabilities, advising the new entities on the development and implementation of corporate policies and template contracts and other documents.
- Advising on the conversion of Horticulture Australia into Horticulture Innovation Australia Ltd (HIAL). This included advising on the transfer of assets and liabilities of all classes by both statutory and contractual means, advising on the legislation and instruments of transfer, advising the new entity on the development and implementation of corporate policies and template contracts.
- Advising several statutory Australian Government R&D corporations (including GRDC, LWA, HIAL, SRA, RIRDC, CRDC, FWPA and FRDC) on commercial and IP aspects of their operations including developing IP policies, developing IP registers and drafting in excess of 60 standard form consultancy, research and licensing agreements.
- Advising the Department of Education and Training on the creation of the South Australian Education Scholarships Program.
- Advising the Australian Maritime Safety Authority and drafting and negotiating contracts for a number of major commercial and IT matters including the outsourcing of maintenance of aids to navigation, emergency towage services, search and rescue services and terrestrial and satellite communications services and contracts for the provision of various IT hardware and software.
- Drafting and negotiating numerous complex multi-party contracts for Animal Health Australia and Plant Health Australia.
- Advising the National Water Commission on the establishment of various national water programs involving the Commonwealth, States and water utilities.
- Advising a wide range of Commonwealth departments and large and small agencies and corporate entities on a wide range of commercial and governance issues, including in relation to the application of the Public Governance and Accountability Act 2013 (Cth) and regulations, the Commonwealth Procurement Rules and associated financial management frameworks, and dealings with the ANAO.
- Advising Defence, DHS, Finance Health, AFSA on the settlement of a number of major commercial disputes.