Brendan has more than 20 years’ experience as a commercial lawyer and his practice focuses on the areas of intellectual property, technology and telecommunications. Brendan advises clients on competition and consumer law. He is recognised for his work in a number of directories, including:
- Brendan is ranked in the Australian Financial Review’s Best Lawyers in the categories of Commercial Law from 2017 – 2018, Information Technology Law from 2014 – 2018 and Telecommunications Law in 2018.
- Brendan is recognised by Chambers Asia Pacific 2016 and 2017 as a notable practitioner for Technology, Media and Telecoms (TMT): IT and Telecommunications. A client commented “The breadth and depth of his experience in our sector allows him to think across issues quickly.”
- Brendan is recognised by Who’s Who Legal 2016 in the area of Telecommunications Media & Technology: Telecoms and Media.
- Best Lawyers, 2020 – Commercial Law
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2016, Brendan is recommended for Intellectual Property and Technology, Media and Telecommunications.
- Brendan is listed as a leading lawyer in the Asialaw Profiles 2016.
- Doyle’s Guide 2015, Brendan is recommended for Technology, Media and Telecommunications.
- Recognised by Chambers Asia Pacific 2015, in the areas of Technology, Media, Telecoms (TMT): IT and Telecommunications. He is praised by clients for his “excellent ability to think outside the box.”
- Recognised by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2015, in the areas of Intellectual property and Technology, Media, Telecoms. Brendan is praised for his ability to ‘think outside the square and come up with unique approaches’.
- Recommended in Chambers Asia Pacific 2014, in the area of Technology, Media, Telecoms (TMT): Telecommunications.
- Brendan was named winner of the Telecommunications Award for Australia by the International Law Office (ILO) Client Choice Awards in 2018, 2015, 2013 and 2012.
Brendan has particular expertise in transactions relating to intellectual property including:
- Licensing and assignment of intellectual property
- Strategic alliances and joint ventures
- Development agreements
- Franchising arrangements
- Intellectual property aspects of mergers, acquisitions and other significant corporate transactions
He advises on the full range of intellectual property issues associated with:
- Brands, including some of Australia’s largest and most valuable trade mark portfolios
- Technology, including software, hardware and a variety of patented technologies
- Content, including digital distribution rights
In the telecommunications sector, Brendan has acted for a number of Australian and international telecommunications operators on the full range of commercial and regulatory matters, including:
- Supply and interconnect agreements
- Strategic alliances
- Access disputes
- Arbitrations and representation in relation to regulatory inquiries
- Acting for Aristocrat Technologies in relation to a range of transactions relating to its extensive intellectual property portfolio.
- Acting for Fonterra Cooperative Group in relation to the intellectual property aspects of its acquisition of the Nestle Chilled Dairy Business in Australia.
- Acting on the acquisition of patented alternative waste treatment technology in relation to the development of a significant waste processing facility.
- Acting for the University of Sydney in relation to the commercialisation of an innovative evaluation methodology.
- Acting on the intellectual property aspects of major corporate transactions for a range of clients including Tenix, Publishing and Broadcasting Limited, AGL, Woolworths, Brazin, Pearson Education and many others.
- Providing advice to technology developers and other intellectual property owners on the protection and commercialisation of intellectual property.
- Advising on the development of franchising systems for clients in the retail, transportation, media and services sectors.
- Acting as the primary legal advisor to Macquarie Telecom on regulatory and commercial legal issues for many years.
- Acting for a number of other Australian telecommunications operators including Vodafone, iiNet, Optus and Comindico.
- Acting for international telecommunications operators including Cable and Wireless Plc, Vodafone Fiji and Sri Lanka Telecom.