Bronwyn is a partner of the firm’s Public Law team. She splits her time between the firm’s Melbourne and Canberra offices. In her 20 years at Maddocks, she has almost exclusively acted for government regulators specialising in the areas of Administrative Law, Regulation, Compliance and Enforcement.
Bronwyn acts for regulators at the Commonwealth, state and local government levels advising on all types of regulatory and compliance issues including providing strategic advice on the risk based approach to the exercise of regulatory functions. Bronwyn has experience in disciplinary tribunal work, merits and judicial reviews as well as in compliance litigation including prosecutions and civil penalty litigation.
Bronwyn has been ranked in the Australian Financial Review’s Best Lawyers in the category of Government Practice from 2017 – 2018.
- Risk based compliance and enforcement
- Statutory interpretation
- Prosecutions and Civil Penalty litigation
- Disciplinary inquiries
- Administrative law
- Complaints management
- Advised Commonwealth and state regulators on the development of risk based compliance and enforcement strategies and implement those frameworks through the development of policies and procedures. Having worked with the operational arms of regulators for several years, Bronwyn is able to assist her clients to set risk based frameworks with the operational realities in mind so policy can be operationalised in a meaningful and effective way. Bronwyn has presented at risk-based regulation workshops run by IPAA’s Regulators Community of Practice.
- Acted for Victorian Building Authority (formerly Building Commission), The Building Practitioners Board, the Building Appeals Board, the MFB, the ARBV, several local council building departments, the Surveyors Licensing Board of Victoria and the Australian Institute of Building Surveyors on building regulation. In 2013, the AIBS recognised Bronwyn for her long contribution to the building surveying industry by awarding her the Sandy Blythe Memorial Award. She has advised on all aspects of building regulatory law and is one of the leading experts in this area.
- Acts in merits and judicial review proceedings in relation to administrative decisions of her clients. She has acted in matters before VCAT and the Building Appeals Board and in numerous judicial review matters in the Supreme Court of Victoria. Many of these matters have been in the context of disciplinary tribunal decisions, but she has also acted in reviews of decisions to suspend or cancel registration in relation to the early childhood education sector.
- Advises occupational licensing bodies on a range of legal issues relating to the registration of professionals, the conduct of disciplinary inquiries including advising on urgent suspensions pending inquiry and the conduct of complex inquiries resulting in the cancellation of registration of professionals. Provides training to Board members in this context and has prepared manuals on decision making, natural justice and the proper exercise of powers and functions.
- Advised clients on the performance of their powers and functions by conducting reviews of their operational files and their procedures and policies and preparing a report and recommendations for senior management. These reviews have been done in the context of pending reviews by the Auditor General or following Auditor General or Ombudsman’s reports or following a significant incident.
- Advises on all types of enforcement including the issuing of notices and orders, infringements, prosecutions, civil penalty litigation and enforceable undertakings. Advises on the proper exercise of investigative powers including the use of coercive powers, powers of entry (including warrants) and authorisations and delegations. In addition, she regularly presents to a very broad range of clients from regulatory bodies representing all three levels of government.
- Advises clients on the recovery of unpaid levies or other overdue payments in regulatory context. This work often involves statutory interpretation, negotiation and debt recovery proceedings.
- Advised her regulatory clients on Privacy and FOI issues that arise in relation to their enforcement activities including around requests for investigation briefs and the preparation of operational manuals and the like.
- Advises on protection works disputes, including appeals to the Business Appeals Board acting for building owners or adjoining owners.
- Formerly a member of the Building Regulations Advisory Committee from 2001 to 2015.