Background and legal expertise
Catherine’s practice focuses on major infrastructure projects with a particular emphasis on the property and public law dimensions. She takes a holistic view of a project, linking the property, construction and public law aspects to identify gaps and minimise risks to delivery.
She advises on the structure and documentation of land arrangements during and after construction of a major infrastructure project, as well as negotiating arrangements with third parties such as other government authorities. Catherine’s extensive experience in infrastructure projects and government allows her to identify issues early and present practical, commercial solutions. Catherine has advised Government departments and bodies for more than 10 years after starting her career as a commercial lawyer in private practice. She has specialised in infrastructure projects for the last ten years.
Catherine also has extensive experience dealing with legislation, particularly drafting secondary legislation and advising on the extent and proper exercise of statutory powers.
- Advising a NSW government transport cluster client regarding interfaces both within the Sydney Metro City & Southwest project and with third parties.
- Advising NSW government transport cluster on the procurement and delivery of the Barangaroo Ferry Hub project.
- Advising NSW government transport cluster in relation to the vesting of certain assets, rights and liabilities of TIDC/TfNSW by orders made by the Minister under section 94 of the Transport Administration Act 1988 (NSW).
- Advising NSW government transport cluster on development deeds entered into with private developers proposing to construct within the Interim Metro Corridor protected by the State Environmental Planning Policy (Infrastructure) 2007.
- Advising a major port on a construction lease for the construction of a coal loader terminal.
- Advising on the development of the site access arrangements and construction leases required for the CBD Metro project.
- Advising a NSW health department on its agreement with a major healthcare provider regarding a hospital redevelopment.
- Advising the NSW government transport cluster on the redevelopment of Chatswood railway station as part of the Epping to Chatswood Rail Link by a private consortium.
- Advising a major port on the interface arrangements for the Port Botany Expansion Project.
- Advising the UK Department for Transport as in-house counsel in relation to the Channel Tunnel Rail Link while under construction.