Dariel is a Consultant in the Sustainability & Climate Change team at Maddocks. Dariel draws on a broad range of skills and experience in a variety of areas including sustainability & climate change, energy and water regulation, competition law and policy, government procurement, construction and engineering, and international trade. Dariel’s diverse background enables her to provide sound practical advice, that takes account of the various legal and non-legal issues at stake.
Before re-joining Maddocks in 2008, Dariel worked at a variety of public sector institutions. She was a Counsellor at the World Trade Organisation (WTO) in Geneva. In that capacity, she was involved in major international trade litigation involving an array of sectors, such as construction, manufacturing, agriculture and services. More recently, Dariel was a Director at the Australian Energy Regulator (AER), focusing on compliance and enforcement of the national electricity and gas rules.
- Australian climate change policy and regulation, including providing advice on the Carbon Pollution Reduction Scheme (CPRS), the National Greenhouse and Energy Reporting Scheme (NGERS) and the Renewable Energy Target scheme (RET)
- State-based abatement policies including the Victorian Energy Efficiency Scheme (VEET), Planning and Building Regulation and incentive schemes
- Green Building and infrastructure projects, including rating tools (Green Star, NABERS/ADGR), green leases and government requirements
- Climate change adaptation, including flood control, sea-level rise and energy efficiency
- Water sensitive urban design, stormwater harvesting, water policy and legislative advice
- Impact of climate change and abatement policies on local government and local communities including waste management, street lighting and local transport
- Advising and drafting a submission on the impact of the Carbon Pollution Reduction Scheme on metropolitan councils’ waste facilities and waste policies
- Acting for a number of local councils to advise on the likely impact on landfill sites of the Carbon Pollution Reduction Scheme and the National Greenhouse and Energy Reporting Scheme
- Prepared a report for Federal Government on regulatory barriers and constraints to climate change adaptation
- Advised State Government and councils on issues arising from climate change adaptation, including liability associated with flooding, sea-level rise and other climate change impacts.