“A very commercial operator who understands his clients’ commercial needs.”
Chambers Asia-Pacific 2017
David acts on behalf of insolvency practitioners and secured lenders in all aspects of corporate insolvency and security enforcement. He advises companies and directors in relation to their duties and obligations, particularly when a company is facing insolvency. David also represents clients in civil and criminal proceedings commenced by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC).
An experienced litigation and commercial lawyer, David’s clients benefit from his practical and commercial approach to asset realisation and dispute resolution. Through his association with peak industry bodies, David keeps abreast of developments in his area of practice and is often asked to address clients and insolvency professionals.
David has been ranked in a number of directories, including:
- Best Lawyers Australia 2010 – 2018, recommended for Insolvency and Reorganisation Law.
- Chambers Asia Pacific 2017, recommended for Restructuring and Insolvency.
- Doyles Guide 2016, listed as a leading lawyer for Restructuring and Insolvency.
- Chambers Asia Pacific 2016, recognised David as a notable practitioner in Restructuring and Insolvency. According to sources “he is well respected in the insolvency community.” Clients report that he is “a good person to have in your corner.”
- Asialaw Profiles 2016, listed as a leading lawyer.
- Doyles Guide 2015, recommended nationally for Restructuring and Insolvency.
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2015-2018, recommended for Restructuring and Insolvency.
- Chambers Asia Pacific 2015, recommended for Restructuring and Insolvency. Clients appreciate that he is “thoughtful and diligent” and that “you can deal direct with him and he knows how to get it done.”
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2015, recommended for Restructuring and Insolvency.
- Chambers Asia 2014, recommended for Restructuring and Insolvency.
- Chambers Asia 2013, with clients remarking he “is very responsive and commercial with a strength in commercial negotiation.”
- Corporate and personal insolvency
- Corporate governance and directors duties
- Partnership disputes
- Acting on behalf of the administrators of the Collins Booksellers Pty Ltd.
- Acting on behalf of the administrators of Media World Communications Ltd.
- Acting on behalf of administrators of a shoe manufacturer with interests in Australia, Fiji, Indonesia and China.
- Acting on behalf of the administrators of Bay St Corporation, a company involved in a large property development in Port Melbourne.
- Acting on behalf of State Trustees in its capacity as debenture trustee for mezzanine note holders in a property development in Market Street, Melbourne (part of the Westpoint Group).
- Acting on behalf of the liquidator of a large shop fitting company, particularly advising in relation to the recovery of unfair preferences.
- Advising a liquidator of a national venue management company.