Frances has extensive experience in building regulation advice, litigation and prosecutions for local government, state government and corporate clients, on protection works disputes, BCA and Building Act compliance issues and other regulatory issues. In addition, she carries out litigation and provides advice to other regulators and government departments.
- Building regulation advice for corporate and government clients.
- Protection works advice and disputes.
- Building regulation litigation and dispute resolution.
- Statutory and local government prosecutions.
- Disciplinary inquiries.
- Administrative and regulatory law.
- Statutory interpretation.
- Local and state government advice.
Litigation and prosecutions
- Supreme Court litigation regarding protection works issues
- Extensive litigation and arbitration on behalf of a statutory body involving complex issues of statutory interpretation.
- Appearing before the Magistrates Court in statutory prosecutions.
- Conducting audits of local council building departments to advise on legislative compliance and risk management.
- Redrafting complex rules for a statutory body administering legislation.
- Advice to the Building Commission (now VBA) regarding the application of the new building regulations regarding bushfire protection in high risk areas.
- Appearing as Counsel assisting in Building Practitioners’ Board inquiries into registered building practitioners.
- Instructing in Supreme Court proceedings regarding application of the Building Act to building practitioners whose registration has been suspended.
- Advice to the Building Commission (now VBA) regarding suggested legislative changes to the regulation of private building surveyors.
- Appearing before the Magistrates Court in prosecutions of building practitioners and other local government prosecutions.
- Provision of detailed advices to local governments regarding interpretation of building regulation legislation and duty of care issues.
- Preparation of lengthy and detailed manual on interpretation and enforcement of Victorian rooming house laws.
- Advising DEECD on issues of statutory interpretation and enforcement.
- Drafting policy submission on legislative reform for submission to Cabinet.
- Pro bono advocacy and advice work in the mental health and senior’s rights sectors.