Gavan is a Partner in the Maddocks Canberra office. He specialises in providing commercial, procurement and contracting advice to Commonwealth agencies on a broad range of matters.
In particular, Gavan has extensive experience advising on complex, high value and high profile ICT and other outsourcing projects for Commonwealth agencies (including whole of government arrangements) for clients including the Department of Finance, the Department of Defence, the Department of Health, and the Department of Human Services.
He regularly advises Commonwealth agencies on their procurement processes (including compliance with the Public Governance, Performance and Accountability Act 2013 and the Commonwealth Procurement Rules), develops and negotiates commercial documents, advises on intellectual property and software licensing arrangements, and advises on contract management issues.
Gavan has a reputation for providing clear, practical, and solution-oriented advice.
Gavan has been listed in the Australian Financial Review’s Best Lawyers in the ‘Government’ category in 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017.
- Government procurement and contracting.
- Information technology.
- Intellectual property.
- Corporate and commercial.
- Advising the Department of Finance on the establishment and administration of a range of whole-of-government ICT panel agreements, including for desktop devices, telecommunication services and devices, major office machines, data centres, volume sourcing arrangements, major ICT vendor software and hardware, and cloud services.
- Advising the Department of Finance on the procurement of a software solution to replace the Commonwealth budget management system.
- Advising the Department of Defence on the procurement of an intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance integration system designed to centralise the collection and distribution of intelligence information.
- Advising the Department of Defence on the procurement of a core simulation capability, a complex project involving the provision and support of live, virtual and constructive simulation services.
- Advising the Department of Defence on its End User Computing Project to upgrade the Defence RESTRICTED and SECRET networks – a complex systems integration and upgrade project involving multiple vendors.
- Advising the Department of Defence on the procurement of a deployable battle space communications system.
- Advising the Department of Defence to negotiate complex intellectual property arrangements in relation to the $3 billion acquisition and support of the Landing Helicopter Docks (LHDs).
- Advising the Department of Health on outsourcing its IT services under an innovative outcomes based service delivery arrangement, including undertaking a due diligence of the licence arrangements relating to that procurement.
- Advising the Department of Health on the implementation and support arrangements for the My Health Record, part of the Australian Government’s multimillion dollar e-health reform project.
- Advising the National Health and Medical Research Council on the procurement of a grants management replacement system.