Ian is a member of Maddocks’ Banking and Finance team and his principal area of practice is acting for both institutional construction and development financiers and advising property developers and corporations generally in respect of their financing requirements. He has undertaken a substantial number of major development projects ranging from greenfields residential development and residential unit development through to a project involving construction of prisons in Victoria. In the course of his practice, Ian deals with construction and property development related issues insofar as they affect financing on a daily basis, from both financiers and borrowers perspective.
As well as banking and finance and property development experience, Ian has also been actively involved in corporate and property law. His experience in this area includes drafting commercial agreements including joint ventures.
- Banking and finance
- Facility and securities documentation
- Property development (including all aspects of property work and structuring)
- Security structures, reconstructions, securitisation
- Project finance
- Construction finance and construction contract issues
- Property due diligence
- Advising the developer in a Public Private Partnership (PPP) project on complex financing and security arrangements for a $235 million transaction with a syndicate of offshore financiers.
- Preparing tender documentation for owners of substantial regional shopping centres.
- Structuring and documenting substantial industrial and residential property developments.
- Acting for an Australian listed property trust in the refinancing of its existing property portfolio, with assets totalling $450 million.
- Advising a privately owned but substantial housing developer in the restructure of its existing $148 million facilities.
- Advising in relation to large residential financing transactions of up to $135 million at Docklands and other major CBD areas.
- Advising in relation to the acquisition and construction funding of the Chevron Hotel redevelopment in Melbourne.
- Advising Rabobank in the food and agribusiness areas.
- Drafting securities documentation, advising on securities, reconstructions, securitisation, trade finance, dealer finance and project financing for institutional and private financiers.
- Advising in relation to a syndicated $650 million multi-option credit facility for a large listed company.
- Advising on Motor Vehicle financing with complex security structures.
- Providing advice in relation to an $850 million transaction for privatisation of trains and trams in Victoria.
- Advising on cross border stamp duty issues for mortgage duty.
- Advising mezzanine financiers on a variety of leveraged property development structures.
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2015/2016, Ian is recommended for Banking and Finance.
- Ian is listed as a leading lawyer in the Asialaw Profiles 2016.