Ian is an experienced dispute resolution lawyer with a focus on commercial and administrative law litigation and dispute resolution. Ian acts for government and commercial clients, with a particular expertise in Commonwealth dispute resolution. Ian’s dispute resolution methodology is to attempt resolution of claims at least cost to his clients, including by refining complex issues, managing disputes efficiently and by the use of alternative dispute resolution processes wherever possible.
Ian has represented his clients in major Commonwealth, NSW, ACT and Victorian courts and tribunals and has appeared as a solicitor advocate in the Federal Court, the Federal Magistrates Court, the Administrative Appeals Tribunal and the NSW Consumer Trader and Tenancy Tribunal. Ian has also appeared on one occasion in the High Court.
Ian regularly advises Commonwealth Government clients in relation to contractual, tort and administrative law issues, including statutory interpretation.
Ian is ranked in the Australian Financial Review’s Best Lawyers in the category of Government Practice in 2018. He is also recommended by Doyle’s Guide 2016 as a leading Commercial Litigation & Dispute Resolution Lawyer.
- Administrative law disputes, including judicial review and merits review proceedings
- Advising government in relation to statutory interpretation and general administrative law issues
- Commercial disputes, including general contractual disputes, information technology, government funding and insolvency disputes and liquidated damages claims
- Property disputes, including commercial and residential construction and fit-out disputes, leasing disputes and property development and funding disputes
- Advising government in relation to employment matters, including disciplinary inquiries and APS Code of Conduct investigations
- Risk management and tort based claims, including professional indemnity and public liability litigation
- Acted for the Commonwealth in an eight week hearing to resolve Federal Court proceedings brought by Senator Brown to prevent the harvesting of trees in Tasmania.
- Advised the Australian Customs and Border Protection Service, in relation to a range of legal issues, during a six month secondment as in-house counsel.
- Acted as legal adviser for several statutory tribunals, including Professional Services Review Committees, providing advice and attending hearings.
- Acted as an Inquiry Assistant in an Inquiry Officer Inquiry, appointed by the Chief of Navy.
- Appeared as solicitor advocate in a large number of judicial review and merits review proceedings in the Federal Court, Federal Magistrates Court and the AAT.
- Acted for the Commonwealth in the defence of a multi-million dollar claim brought by a liquidator against it and the State of Victoria, pursuant to the voidable transaction provisions of the Corporations Act.
- Advised the Commonwealth in relation to a sensitive disciplinary inquiry undertaken in relation to a senior public servant, and in relation to subsequent Federal Court proceedings.