James has more than 13 years’ experience as a property lawyer, advising private, institutional and foreign developers and builders on land and apartment projects including broad acre residential developments and master planned communities.
Clients benefit from James’ in depth knowledge and experience in residential property developments and his ability to provide all project services from site acquisition through to project delivery and completion.
James joined Maddocks in 2008 from leading UK property law firm, Nabarro (now CMS).
- Selling and acquiring development sites including Expressions of Interest campaigns
- Ownership structuring including property development agreements and joint venture agreements
- Master planned community structuring
- Property taxes including GST, stamp duty, land tax and GAIC
- Preparation of master contracts
- Owners corporation rules and structuring
- Management rights structuring
- Establishment of display villages
- Developer/builder arrangements
- Managing volume conveyancing
- Satterley Property Group – acting on its $100 million plus acquisition of 214 hectares of land in Mickleham (with a pipeline of up to 2300 lots) from a consortium of adjoining owners managed by MAB Corporation. On completion, this will be Satterley’s largest residential estate in Victoria, with plans to build a mix of houses and medium-density sites, a town centre, wetlands and a large central park.
- Wolfdene – acting on its $190 million sale of land in Point Cook to Chinese developer Dahua Group.
- Evolve Development – acting on its $50 million sale of Annadale to Japanese developers, NTT Urban Development Corporation and Sumitomo Forestry Co, in partnership with Moremac.
- Mirvac – acting on the release of its flagship Tullamore project (the former Eastern Golf Course) including the sale of the recreational facilities and launching the Apartments of Tullamore.
- Gurner – acting on their iconic A$140 million development Ikebana, West Melbourne project which comprises of 248 Japanese-inspired apartments with extensive communal facilities, including structuring and selling the management rights.