“An experienced operator with a very strong understanding of IT law and commercial practice.”
Chambers Asia-Pacific 2017
Jeff is a partner in Maddocks’ Commercial team, specialising in technology, intellectual property, outsourcing and general commercial matters. He has over 15 years of experience, gained working at a number of well-respected firms in Sydney and London. Jeff has acted for a number of well-known organisations on both the supplier side and buyer side of transactions.
Jeff advises on technology and business process outsourcings, hardware procurement and support, software licensing and support, telecommunications services, e-commerce, data protection and privacy, digital advertising and marketing, commercial intellectual property issues and general commercial contracts. He has also undertaken client secondments to a number of TMT sector clients, including Yahoo! Europe, Telstra, TCNZ Australia (now known as gen-i, an Australian subsidiary of Telecom New Zealand) and Macquarie Telecom, giving him valuable first-hand knowledge of clients’ needs in the IT and telco sectors.
Jeff has been ranked in a number of directories, including:
- The Australian Financial Review’s Best Lawyers in the category of Information Technology Law from 2014 – 2018.
- Chambers Asia Pacific 2017 – Recognised in the areas of Technology, Media, Telecoms (TMT): IT and Telecommunications. Jeff is is credited as “an experienced operator with a very strong understanding of IT law and commercial practice.”
- Jeff is recognised by Who’s Who Legal 2016 in the area of Telecommunications Media & Technology: Telecoms and Media.
- Chambers Asia Pacific 2016 recognised Jeff as a notable practitioner for Technology, Media and Telecoms (TMT): IT and Telecommunications. Jeff was praised by on client as “absolutely fantastic on a technical, relationship and trust level.”
- Chambers Asia Pacific 2015 – Recognised in the areas of Technology, Media, Telecoms (TMT): IT and Telecommunications.
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2015 – Recognised in the areas of Intellectual property and Technology, Media, Telecoms.
- Chambers Asia Pacific 2014 – Recommended in the area of Technology, Media, Telecoms (TMT): IT and Telecommunications. Jeff is noted for his experience in handling complex IT work, including IT procurement, outsourcings, licensing and data protection.
- Information technology
- Intellectual Property
- e-commerce / web 2.0
- General procurement
- Advised Target Loan Servicing in relation to the outsourcing by Picture Financial of the ongoing servicing for its secured loan portfolio, consisting of £1 billion worth of loans for 25,000 customers.
- Advised Serco Ltd on the outsourcing of the operation of one of its major Tier III hosting facilities to Cable & Wireless UK.
- Advised Yahoo! Europe Ltd on the outsourcing of a customer care call centre to Sykes Enterprises Incorporated B.V in the Netherlands.
- Advised Westbrook Partners on the outsourcing of various facilities management services (waste management, pest control, porterage, security, car park management and cleaning services) in relation to Dolphin Square, a landmark 1000 plus unit residential apartment complex located in Pimlico, London.
- Advised Montpelier Re Holdings Ltd on the licensing and company-wide implementation of an SAP software solution, including the related provision of consulting and implementation services by msg systems, Inc.
- Advised the Roads and Traffic Authority of NSW on the acquisition, from Sun Microsystems Australia Pty Ltd, of the Sun Java Enterprise System for messaging and calendar services and the Sun StarOffice productivity suite for word processing, spreadsheets and presentation development, for use on over 1500 of the RTA’s desktops.
- Advised Burberry Ltd on a global agreement for the purchase of telecommunications and related network management services from Verizon UK Ltd.
- Advised Telstra Corporation Ltd on the provision of fixed voice and mobile carriage services to the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.
- Advised Expedia Inc on a business partnership agreement with Eviivo Ltd for the provision of online booking services to hotels.
- Advised AKQA Ltd in relation to its appointment by Cadbury Schweppes to develop the web and mobile aspects of Cadbury Schweppes’ advertising campaign for Trident chewing gum.
- Advised Strathfield Municipal Council on its dispute with HSBH Pty Ltd regarding ownership of the ‘Strathfield Scene’ trademark and the community newspaper of the same name.
- Advised Yahoo! Europe Ltd on a range of end-user, advertiser and supplier related matters, including the exploitation by Yahoo! of its ‘Official Partner’ relationship with FIFA for the 2006 FIFA World Cup.
- Advised Wieden+Kennedy, the international advertising agency, in connection with its negotiations with Hutchinson 3G UK Ltd on a whole-of-business Marketing Services Agreement.
- Advised Sydney International Smart Light Festival Ltd on a Sponsorship Agreement with Events New South Wales in relation to the 2009 inaugural Vivid Sydney Festival.
- Acted as the principle legal advisor to the Sydney Film Festival in relation to its 2009 festival, including: advising on a dispute with Sentry Networks regarding the provision of IT services; preparing various template agreements (Screening Fees Letter Agreement, Supplier Letter Agreement for Goods and Supplier Letter Agreement for Services); and advising on its ticket refund policy and the possible impact of the swine flu pandemic.
- Advised Coca-Cola Enterprises Ltd on the acquisition of soft drink manufacturing and bottling production line equipment from Sidel Etk SAS.
- Advised Samsung on a strategic content deal with News Limited, which involved the provision of pre-loaded news content applications onto Samsung’s new Galaxy Tablet.
- Advised Swisslog Australia Pty Ltd, the software and logistics management company, in connection with licensing agreements for warehousing inventory management software to Swisslog’s customers, including Coca-Cola Amatil (Aust) Pty Ltd and Cadbury Schweppes Pty Ltd.