Jeff joined Maddocks’ Sydney Commercial team in 2010 as a consultant and has nearly 30 years’ experience in major projects and project finance. He brings to major projects a unique combination of construction, financing and risk assessment skills.
Jeff has advised on equity and financing arrangements for sponsors involving project finance, structured finance, international loan syndication, capital markets and derivatives, including off balance sheet arrangements. He has undertaken major financing transactions including: corporate and structured financing; project financing of major mining facilities; sale and lease back transactions; general equipment financing; and infrastructure projects on mergers and acquisitions.
Jeff is a member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors (AICD), the Australian Mining Petroleum Law Association (AMPLA) and the Australian China Business Council (ACBC).
Before joining Maddocks, Jeff has been a partner of Middletons (including its predecessor firms of Middletons Moore & Bevins and Moore & Bevins), and was the National Managing Partner of KPMG Legal.
Jeff has been involved extensively in international debt issues (including Multi Option Facilities, Medium Term Note Issue, Private Placement of Yen Denominated Bonds), project financing, advice on innovative financing products, capital market transactions, treasury products (including ISDA documentation and other risk management facilities), discretionary management agreements and restructuring of financial institutions.
Jeff also pioneered in the 1980’s development of discretionary management products to manage interest rate and foreign currency risks.
Jeff has undertaken major financing transactions including:
- Project financing of major mining facilities for banks and owners of mines;
- Sale and lease back of power stations and oil refineries (including Eraring Power Station and Kurnell Oil Refinery);
- Equipment financing generally;
- Corporate financing of Merger between Caltex and AMPOL; and
- Corporate financing of Caltex Buy Out of Pioneer’s interest in the merged entity.
Major projects on which Jeff has advised sponsors and/or consortium members include:
- WPG on the sale of its iron ore assets to OneSteel;
- WPG on the project financing of the Peculiar Knob DSO Iron Ore Project;
- Melbourne City Link including performance undertakings, bonding requirements and risk analysis, the design and construction contract, concession deed, equity documents, subcontracts, project scope and technical criteria, liability negotiations;
- The Hills Motorway in Sydney including the design and construction contract, completion undertaking and parameters of construction risk;
- Multi Use Arena for the Olympics (The Superdome), including the design and construction contracts and performance bonds;
- Blue Mountains Sewage Transfer Scheme financial structure;
- Parramatta (now Epping) to Chatswood Rail Link advising and documenting Expression of Interest and value capture financing techniques;
- Construction documentation for gold, copper and iron ore mines, gas condensation plants; cogeneration facilities, mineral sands processing facilities, pipelines;
- Tenders for The Cross City Tunnel; the Lane Cove Tunnel; the Long Bay Private Prison Hospital; the Williams Street Tunnel (Perth), the Commonwealth Patrol Boat Replacement Program;
- Sydney Harbour Tunnel Performance Bonding;
- Southern Cross Consortium bid for Sydney Airport;
- Acquisition by Australian Petroleum Investments Group of Delhi Petroleum Pty Ltd; and
- Landmark CBD Developments including the Waterfront Place (Brisbane), One O’Connell Street (Sydney), Times Square (Canberra), and the Piccadilly Plaza and Piccadilly Court (Sydney).
Jeff also advises on equity and financing arrangements for Sponsors on these transactions (including off balance sheet arrangements).