Jessica specialises in superannuation and financial services. She has more than 10 years’ experience in all aspects of superannuation law, including regulatory /compliance matters and legislative change, Defined Benefit superannuation issues, commercial contracts and disclosure material, successor fund transfers and fund mergers, Board governance and training, claims and insurance.
Jessica acts for Trustees of corporate, industry and public offer superannuation funds, fund administrators and other third party service providers, employers, local councils and government entities (State and Federal). She has presented for the Taxation Institute of Australia and The Education Network (TEN) regarding superannuation guarantee and related obligations.
- Funds management and financial services
- Compliance and regulation
- Commercial contracts.
- Regulatory / compliance matters and legislative change: Advises on AFS and RSE licensing, breach reporting, application of Prudential Standards, legislative change (including FSR, Stronger Super, AML/CTF and privacy), superannuation legislation and Trust Deed obligations.
- Defined Benefit superannuation issues: Advises trustees and employers on funding arrangements, employment implications and fund/scheme design issues.
- Commercial contracts and disclosure material: Reviews, drafts and negotiates third party contracts (including administration, custody, investment management and investment consulting), employment arrangements, Trust Deed amendments, licensing policies, disclosure documents (including PDSs, periodic statements and annual reports), successor fund transfer documentation, marketing material and member communications.
- Successor fund transfers and fund mergers: Experience in all aspects of these transactions, including drafting and negotiation of key legal documentation, due diligence, insurance issues and benefit design/Trust Deed issues.
- Board governance and training: Acts as a Secretary for three superannuation board committees (Audit & Compliance, Claims and Remuneration), runs trustee training, advises on best practice and conflicts management, advises on director appointments and assessments.
- Claims and insurance – Assesses and advises on disability and death benefit claims, procedural fairness, claims-staking processes and management of disputed claims (SCT and litigated claims). Reviews and negotiates group life and disability insurance policies and professional indemnity policies.