Jonathan is an experienced public law and dispute resolution lawyer based in Canberra. He has worked closely with Commonwealth and Territory clients, advising and appearing in a wide range of civil, public law, commercial law, regulatory and dispute resolution matters.
Jonathan advises Commonwealth agencies on administrative matters arising out of various legislative schemes. This includes providing statutory interpretation advice, decision-making support and representation in litigated review proceedings.
Prior to joining Maddocks in 2023, Jonathan provided in-house legal services to the Commonwealth, advising across high profile and politically sensitive matters involving some of the nation’s most pressing social and environmental issues, including the Aged Care, Disability and Natural Disasters Royal Commissions and Australia’s largest class action relating to land contamination claims against the Commonwealth.
- Advice and detailed submissions relating to various privacy complaints made to the OAIC, including detailed advice regarding litigation strategy and broader operational risks for the client.
- Advice and representation in matters concerning the historical use of PFAS, including management of over 190 non-litigated claims and litigation coordination in two related class actions.
- Advice on privacy and freedom of information issues relating to the Royal Commissions into Violence, Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation of People with Disability; Aged Care, Quality and Safety; and National Natural Disaster Arrangements.
Assisting with litigation management, including developing and implementing complex discovery processes, and assisting with the preparation of expert evidence relating to the historical use of PFAS.
Department of Home Affairs
Preparation of a decision-maker’s brief in connection with an Act of Grace payment request and advice regarding the Commonwealth’s discretionary payment mechanisms.
- Advice and representation concerning complaints by Territory employees to the ACT Human Rights Commission relating to claims of disability discrimination.
- Advice and advocacy in the ACT Civil & Administrative Tribunal in connection with various merits review proceedings arising from regulatory action, as well as extensive operational advice relating to licensing, construction, revenue, planning and transport for Territory directorates.