Kate has developed a specialised practice in the area of governance for local government. She has extensive experience providing strategic advice to Victorian and South Australian councils on governance and regulatory matters. Kate represents clients in proceedings before VCAT, the Victorian Supreme Court and the Municipal Electoral Tribunal.
- Administrative Law generally
- Code of Conduct drafting, interpretation and complaints
- Ombudsman investigations
- Statutory interpretation
- Drafting of subordinate instruments, including local laws
- Electoral matters
- Delegations and authorisations
- Road management
- Contractual matters
- Freedom of Information and privacy
- Providing ongoing support and advice to numerous Victorian councils and other public authorities on an ‘as needs’ basis in a variety of governance-related matters, including conflict of interest and Councillor conduct.
- Representing Victorian councils in proceedings before VCAT, including for breach of privacy, the Supreme Court, including judicial review, and the Municipal Electoral Tribunal, in challenges to election outcomes.
- Drafting and interpretation of local laws for Victorian councils.
- Preparing tender documents for, and providing probity advice to, Victorian councils and other public authorities.
- Advising Victorian councils with respect to investigations by the Local Government Investigations and Compliance Inspectorate, associated offences against the Local Government Act 1989 and protected disclosures.
- Providing statutory and strategic advice to Victorian councils regarding electoral processes and the publication of electoral matter.
- Advising Victorian Councils on obligations with respect to the retention of records, especially penalty infringements and associated documents.
- Advising Victorian councils on matters relating to the Road Management Act 2004, including liability, status of roads, authorisations to conduct works and rights of access.
- Providing training to council staff and Councillors on a wide range of governance-related issues, including conflict of interest, meeting procedures, Councillor conduct and financial management.