Matthew is an experienced local government lawyer with more than 18 years’ experience in the local government sector.
He has extensive experience in Land and Environment Court litigation, environmental prosecution and local government and planning law advice.
Matthew is also an Accredited National Mediator.
- Appearing in a variety of jurisdictions including the Local Court, District Court, the Industrial Relations Commission, Land and Environment Court, Supreme Court and Federal Court
- Local Government governance
- Civil enforcement and prosecutions
- Planning and environment regulation and approvals
- Preparing and negotiating Local Government contracts for various goods and services
- Advising on matters relating to Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 and in particular development applications existing use rights, Voluntary Planning Agreements and planning proposals
- Advising on matters relating to the Local Government Act 1993 and in particular the nature of tendering, the duties of the Mayor and Councillors, matters relating to political donations, the nature and extent of organisational restructure, the appointment of staff including the executive, alleged breaches of the code of conduct and proper meeting practice, duties of disclosure and matters of pecuniary interest and the adjustment and exemption of rates and charges.
- Providing advice on operational and community land, Plans of Management and the nature and extent of leases and licences related to such land categories.
- Provided advice on the Recovery of Imposts Act 1963 and its applicability to Council in relation to the refund of water and rate charges and section 94 contributions.
- Provided advice on public requests for information in relation to the Government Information Public Access Act 2009 (GIPA) and matters of privacy (and allegations concerning the unauthorised release of personal information) relating to the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998.
- Instructing and appearing in the Supreme Court of New South Wales, Court of Appeal on appeals from the Land and Environment Court.
- Appearing and advocating in the District Court of New South Wales concerning criminal appeals from the Local Court of New South Wales.
- Appearing and advocating in the Local Court of New South Wales concerning planning and environmental prosecutions and civil proceedings.
- Appearing and advocating in the New South Wales Industrial Relations Commission in respect of unfair dismissals claims, section 130 notifications and award disputes with various Unions.
- Appearing and advocating in the NSW Civil Administration Tribunal concerning privacy, GIPA and disputes concerning residential tenancy agreements.