Michael is a Partner in the insolvency and restructuring team at Maddocks. His practice focuses on restructuring and insolvency (including commercial advice and conducting insolvency and securities enforcement litigation).
As well as a range of insolvency practitioners, he acts for secured lenders, including ANZ Bank, Commonwealth Bank, Bendigo and Adelaide Bank Ltd, and also a well-known franchisor (as a secured creditor) in securities enforcement and recovery.
In 2008 and 2009 Michael has undertaken secondments with ANZ Corporate Portfolio Management and ANZ Lending Services (Institutional). During those secondments, he had involvement in a range of recovery and strategic work-out matters including aspects of Centro, Opes Prime and Great Southern.
Michael’s practice focuses on:
- insolvency (including commercial advice and conducting insolvency and securities enforcement litigation);
- securities, managed investments and financial services reform (including licensing).
As well as a range of insolvency practitioners, he acts for secured lenders, including ANZ Bank, Esanda Finance, Commonwealth Bank, Bendigo and Adelaide Bank, and also a well-known franchisor (as a secured creditor) in securities enforcement and recovery.
Recent insolvency-related experience includes:
- acting for an administrator, then deed administrator, in the reconstruction and subsequent relisting of a listed public company in the IT industry
- advising an administrator appointed to a service provider by the State Government under the Intellectually Disabled Persons Services Act
- acting for a liquidator appointed to a group of companies on application by ASIC for breach of the managed investment provisions.
Michael is also responsible for the firm’s Securities, Managed Investments and Financial Services team. His recent experience in that area includes advising clients on:
- prospectus and due diligence requirements for residential/golf club developments
- advice and structuring to take advantage of exemptions from the financial services regime
Michael’s practice also covers distribution and supply arrangements, sales and purchases of businesses, resolution of shareholder and partnership disputes and corporate restructuring.
- Best Lawyers Australia 2015 – 2018, recommended for Insolvency and Reorganisation Law.
- Michael is listed as a leading lawyer in the Asialaw Profiles 2016.
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2015-2018, recommended for Restructuring and Insolvency.