Michael has extensive experience acting for the private sector and government in all areas of property development including property acquisitions and disposals, property development projects, tender processes, leasing, property joint ventures, subdivisions and strategic corporate real estate decision making.
Michael was ranked in the Australian Financial Review’s Best Lawyers in the category of Real Property Law from 2016 – 2019.
- Infrastructure Projects
- Corporate & Government Development & Investments
- Federation Square Pty Ltd – acting for Federation Square in its negotiation of an agreement for lease and lease with Apple for the construction of a new flagship Apple store in Federation Square. The project also involved negotiating deeds of surrender and variations of lease with existing tenants at Federation Square to accommodate the demolition of existing buildings and the construction of the new Apple premises.
- Victoria University – acting for Victoria University in its development of a new city campus. The project involves the sale and leaseback of land owned by Victoria University, together with an agreement for lease and lease of a purpose built city tower for tertiary education purposes to be built and fitted out by the developer in accordance with an agreed base building and fit out brief. The project also involves lease backs and base building upgrades of adjoining existing heritage buildings occupied by Victoria University.
- Victorian Workcover Authority – acted for VWA on its Geelong relocation project. The project involved negotiation of an agreement for lease and lease for VWA’s new head office in Geelong to be located in a newly constructed building incorporating Worksafe’s base requirements. The agreement for lease provided for an integrated fitout to be undertaken either by Worksafe or the developer at Worksafe’s election. The project also involved advice in relation to the make good and other termination obligations of VWA under its existing head office lease premises in Melbourne.
- Victoria Legal Aid – acted for Victoria Legal Aid in its agreement for lease and lease of its new city head office. The agreement fr lease provided for Victoria Legal Aid to undertake its own design and fitout of the premises.
- Grant Thornton – acted for Grant Thornton in the negotiation of an agreement for lease and lease of their new office premises in Collins Square. The agreement for lease provided for an integrated fitout to be undertaken by the developer in conjunction with Grant Thornton’s fitout contractor.
- Acted for numerous other tenants and landlords in relation to office leasing including Facebook, L’Oreal, Bureau of Metereology and headspace.
- Acted for numerous tenants and landlords in relation to the leasing of retail premises including Roger David, Lawrence and Hanson Group, Moorabbin Airport, Melbourne Airport.
- Bucher Municipal – acting for Bucher in the negotiation of an agreement for lease and lease for the construction of a purpose built facility in Marsden Park.
- Costa Group – acted for Costa Group on the leasing of warehouses and distribution centres for Costa’s fruit and vegetable distribution business.
- Acted for Deluxe International (as tenant) in relation to make good disputes in relation to premises being vacated by Deluxe. This involved advising on the make good requirements under the leases, and negotiating deeds of settlement and release with the landlords.
- Acted for Victorian Worksafe Authority (as tenant) in relation to its make good dispute in relation to its head office premises being vacated by Worksafe. This involved advising on the make good requirements under the leases, and negotiating deeds of settlement and release with the landlord.
Sales and acquisitions
- Acted for NRMA on the sale of the Channel 7 Broadcast Centre in Docklands to development Victoria.
- Acted for CEL on the acquisition and subsequent disposition of the properties at 170 Victoria Street, Melbourne and Tower Melbourne.
- Acted for Victoria University in the sale of its Sunbury Campus.
- Acted for GARDA capital Limited in the acquisition of 588A Swan Street, Richmond.
- Advised on numerous land transactions for clients such as Victorian Government, CEL Australia, Accord Property Group and Villa World in relation to the sale, acquisition and development of commercial and residential property.
- Acted for First Australian Farmland and Costa Group in relation to the acquisition and disposition of multiple agricultural properties.
Projects and infrastructure
- Acted for the Department of Human Services on the proposed redevelopment and disposition of Kew Residential Services (formerly known as Kew Cottages).
- Acted for the Department of Human Services on the Carlton Housing redevelopment project.
- Advised Victoria University on its establishment of a student housing project involving a joint venture arrangement between the University and the private sector funded by external structured financing.
- Acted for Victorian Government on the Ballarat Station Precinct redevelopment project.