Michael is a commercial lawyer with a strong background in tax and transaction structuring and implementation.
Michael has extensive experience in both broadacre and strata form property development. His understanding of the residential and commercial markets, and the transaction and tax risks affecting both, enables him to provide cutting-edge commercial, tax and structuring advice to some of the best known names in the Australian development industry. As both a designer and implementer of development structures, Michael can not only advise on front-end commercial and tax issues affecting landowners and developers, but prepare relevant relationship and implementation documentation.
In addition to property development, Michael advises a wide range of corporate, SME and private clients in relation to unregulated M&A, business sales and acquisitions, cross-border transactions and commercial projects. He has substantial experience in negotiating and drafting share and business sale agreements, shareholder/unitholder & partnership agreements, and ancillary relationship and commercial agreements.
Michael is one of the best known advisers on Growth Areas Infrastructure Charge (GAIC) in Australia, having acted for the peak property industry groups in negotiating with government on the new regime.
Michael is a current member of the UDIA’s Tax & Revenue Committee, a former PCA committee member and Treasurer of the Refugee & Immigration Legal Centre Inc. He has qualifications in both accounting and law.
- Property development agreements & joint ventures (greenfields, infill & strata form)
- Structuring asset acquisitions and enterprise establishment (domestic & international)
- Relationship agreements (shareholder, unitholder & partnership agreements)
- Income tax (incl.CGT)
- Stamp Duty, Land Tax & GAIC
- International tax and structuring (including Double Tax Agreements)
- Acting for developers and financiers in relation to property acquisitions, divestments and development projects
- Advising individuals, corporates and family groups in relation to structuring and relationship issues
- Advising non-resident investors in relation to establishment and maintenance of Australian projects and investments
- Dealing regularly with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) and Office of State Revenue in relation to audits, rulings and conflict matters