Michelle was appointed as CEO following 18 years at the firm, including 13 years as a partner and a period as leader of the firm’s Dispute Resolution & Litigation team. She works with the Board and partnership to set and deliver the strategic direction for the firm. Under Michelle’s leadership, Maddocks has continued to grow and lead the way on issues such as gender equality and diversity. During her time as CEO, Maddocks has been recognised as an Employer of Choice for Gender Equality by the Workplace Gender Equity Agency. Michelle was named one of the Australian Financial Review’s 100 Women of Influence in 2015. In 2016, Michelle was awarded the Victorian Award for Excellence in Women’s Leadership.
Michelle is a strong advocate for the progression of women into leadership. She is an ambassador for the Workplace Gender Equity Agency’s (WGEA) ‘In Your Hands’ initiative for pay equity.
As a litigation partner, Michelle has worked in a wide range of disputes with a particular focus on corporations matters, competition claims and trusts disputes. She has also acted in a number of disputes involving administrative and constitutional law issues.
Michelle has acted in proceedings before both State and Federal Courts, the High Court, before specialist tribunals, in Royal Commissions and in a range of arbitrations. She regularly acts in urgent matters involving injunction hearings, including for search and freezing orders. Her experience spans both private sector companies, as well as public sector clients, including government departments, state-owned businesses and statutory authorities.
Commercial litigation in the areas of:
- Corporations Law
- Administrative Law
- Intellectual Property & Technology
- Regulatory Disputes
- Acting for government respondents to Constitutional law proceedings commenced by Optus and Telstra challenging rates levied on their infrastructure in the Federal Court and the High Court.
- Acting in cartel investigations and proceedings commenced by the ACCC.
- Acted for Australia’s regulator of the .au domain name space in numerous consumer protection proceedings in the Federal Court of Australia.
- Investigations and advice for a major Australian corporation in relation to claims against former directors. Investigations included tracing funds through offshore investment trusts.
- Acted in the defence of a class action brought on behalf of more than 800 residents’ in group action claims of negligence and nuisance against a major municipal authority.
- Acting for a mortgage aggregator in complex proceedings relating to a corporate restructure and sale of part of the business to Macquarie Bank Limited.
- Acting for an Australian manufacturer in complex Federal Court proceedings involving allegations of breach of non-compete clauses and breaches of the Australian Competition and Consumer Law.
- Listed by Doyle’s Guide as a recommended Commercial Litigation & Dispute Resolution Lawyer in 2016.
- Listed as a leading Litigation lawyer in Best Lawyers from 2014 – 2018
- Michelle is recommended for Dispute Resolution in the Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2014, 2013 and 2012 rankings: ‘Maddocks’ five-partner commercial disputes team provides ‘first-class service’.
- Maddocks’ Michelle Dixon is ‘a very good and well organised litigator’, with wide experience of commercial and regulatory disputes. Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2011 edition.