Michelle focuses on advising Victorian government departments and agencies on commercial and administrative law issues, including outsourcing of public functions, government procurement, public sector governance and Victorian privacy requirements. Her core areas of focus are the health, emergency services and education sectors.
Outsourcing public functions and government procurement
- Advising Ambulance Victoria on arrangements for the Victorian Nurse on Call service including contract drafting, procurement, privacy issues and issues with service continuity arising during the current COVID-19 paramedic.
- Advising the Department of Education and Training on the state-wide roll out of a functional needs assessment model to identify the needs of students with disabilities as part of the Victorian government’s Inclusive Education Agenda.
Public sector governance
- Advising V/Line Corporation on the transfer of the V/Line business from a private to public entity via a legislative mechanism in the Transport Integration Act. This was a significant project undertaken over many months and included the drafting of a Transfer Agreement and Allocation Statement, Ministerial briefings, advising the Board on governance (including drafting Board Charter), redrafting delegations, advising directors on their duties and liability issues, drafting Ministerial briefings, obtaining regulatory approvals including from the Office of the National Rail Safety Regulator and drafting a legislative compliance document for the statutory authority.
- Advising the Department of Premier and Cabinet on the establishment of the Portable Long Service Benefits Authority.
Statutory interpretation and administrative law
- Advising statutory authorities on the operation of their enabling Acts and the scope of their powers, functions and objectives.
- Advising Solar Victoria on governing requirements and risk management for retailers and installers working on the Solar Homes Program.
- Michelle also has extensive experience working with Victorian government clients to draft and review delegations to facilitate expenditure of public funds and administrative decision making and advising on issues arising under the Public Administration Act and the Financial Management Act.
Victorian privacy and data protection requirements
- Conducting privacy impact assessments against requirements under the Victorian Information Privacy Principles and Health Privacy Principles for key projects at Ambulance Victoria including Connected Paramedics and Health Hub projects.
- Advising the Department of Premier and Cabinet on issues relating to the operation of the Victorian Data Sharing Act and drafting a template data sharing agreement. Also advising the Department of Premier and Cabinet on information sharing arrangements and on the commercial arrangements for online identity verification software used by Service Victoria.
Template commercial documents compliant with Victorian government requirements
Michelle has extensive experience working with Victorian government clients to develop template contract documents which comply with legislative and policy requirements while protecting commercial interests. She is an advocate for plain English drafting and delivers seminars to public sector lawyers on this topic.
Government decision makers should think twice before jumping on the ban-wagon: lessons from the Brett Cattle class action
Judgement potentially lowers bar for those impacted by government decisions to claim an unlawful exercise of power
COVID-19 A refresher on signing contracts electronically for Victorian government
What are the new requirements for signing contracts electronically for Victorian government departments and agencies