Background and legal expertise
Mike has more than 10 years’ experience advising locally based and offshore investors, developers and private clients on a wide range of acquisition, disposal and development matters across the commercial, retail, industrial and residential sectors. Mike also has extensive experience advising landlords and tenants in all aspects of commercial, industrial and retail leasing.
Mike’s clients value his personal approach and responsiveness as well as his ability to deliver pragmatic advice that considers the commercial drivers of the transaction together with the legal aspects.
- Chinese property developer – acting for a significant Chinese property developer on its circa $80 million acquisition of a prominent commercial building in Milsons Point for residential development, including extensive due diligence, tenancy and contract negotiations and review of the site’s development potential from a planning perspective.
- Chinese property developer – acting for a significant Chinese property developer in its circa $90 million acquisition of Council land for residential development, including negotiations with Council in relation to the GST treatment of the property and review of the site’s development potential from a planning perspective. Acting on the project titling, drafting of contract and ancillary documents, launch and sales process.
- An aggregator of offshore investors – acting on their acquisition of two significant commercial office buildings in the Sydney CBD. The transaction involved complex planning issues, leasing vacancy considerations, tax and stamp duty implications and FIRB considerations.
- A locally based property group – acting on their acquisition and subsequent disposal of a significant commercial office tower in North Sydney.
- A locally based high net worth individual – acting on his sale of strata subdivided commercial office tower in Sydney’s CBD including complex rental guarantee.
- An established developer – acting on the acquisition of all lots in a commercial strata scheme for redevelopment as residential apartments.
- Various high net worth individuals (local and offshore) – acting on their acquisitions of various large independent suburban shopping centres.
- Leasing projects – coordinating significant commercial office, industrial and retail leasing projects and advising on large-scale leasing transactions.
- Put and Call Option Transaction – advising on the staged disposal of a 165 hectare “greenfield” site under a complex multi-faceted Put and Call Option Transaction included issues such as infrastructure implementation, rezoning, Ministerial consents and voluntary planning agreements.
- An ASX listed corporation – acting on its acquisition of various greenfield and industrial properties.
- A landowner – acting on the disposal of land under contract and partition deed to ensure optimal security of delivery of lots from the completed land subdivision.
- Numerous developers – acting on residential and mixed use strata developments and vacant land subdivision across Sydney including preparation of contracts for sale, titling documents and ancillary agreements.
- Acting on the conversion of an existing commercial offices building to residential apartments in Milsons Point, sales launch, sales process and completion.
- Head quarter relocations – advising numerous clients on the relocation of their national headquarters to new premises including negotiating terms of the lease, incentive deed and ancillary documents.
- A prominent logistics company – advising on the relocation of its Sydney and Melbourne facilities to new premises under Agreement for Lease and advising on end of lease issues on existing facilities.
- Developer clients – advising on the acquisition of sites under put and call option including stamp duty, titling and disposal strategies.
- An ASX listed corporation – advising it as a tenant in its industrial and commercial office leasing portfolio, Australia wide.