Mimi advises local government in all aspects of statutory and strategic planning. She regularly appears as an advocate at VCAT and planning panels. Mimi acts for local government in large scale planning litigation at the Supreme Court of Victoria.
In addition to the array of strategic and statutory planning issues, Mimi has specialist knowledge and expertise in liquor, gaming and human rights law particularly as it applies to government and public authorities. Mimi is also a board member of the Victorian Planning and Environmental Law Association.
Mimi is ranked in the Australian Financial Review’s Best Lawyers in the category of Planning and Environment Law in 2018.
- Statutory and strategic planning advocacy and advice
- Liquor licensing advocacy and advice
- Gaming advocacy and advice
- Heritage advocacy and advice
- Human rights law advice
- Successfully acted for Yarra City Council at VCAT in relation to an application to increase patron numbers and operating hours at the Corner Hotel. This case was the first to consider the ‘cumulative impact’ of existing and proposed liquor licences in a relevant area.
- Successfully acted for Boroondara City Council at VCAT in relation to an application by Safeway to cancel a section 173 agreement entered into with Council. The case is important for its consideration of the application of section 184(4) of the Planning and Environment Act 1987.
- Successfully appeared for Yarra City Council at VCAT in relation to the construction of 3 buildings ranging in 9-11 storeys to accommodate dwellings adjacent to the Yarra River. The hearing concerned a range of planning issues including a complex and novel question about whether a Cultural Heritage Management Plan was required for part of the subject land.
- Successfully appeared for Frankston City Council at VCAT in relation to an application to vary the terms of a restrictive covenant burdening land.
- Appeared for Yarra Ranges Shire Council at VCAT in relation to a proposed McDonalds at Tecoma.
- Successfully appeared for Boroondara City Council at Panels in relation to Amendment C66 concerning a local heritage policy (amongst other matters).
- Acted for Maribyrnong City Council at VCAT opposing an application by the Footscray Football Club (Club)and Tattersalls for permission to use and develop a new facility for the Club in Maribyrnong together with an application for approval of 70 electronic gaming machines.
- Successfully appeared for Maribyrnong City Council in relation to three applications for liquor licences sought by the Footscray Football Club.
- Advising public authorities on Charter of Human Rights compliance and local laws and reviewing decisions for compatibility.