Norman Lucas is a commercial litigator with 25 years’ experience. Prior to joining Maddocks, he was a partner at a major national law firm. He undertakes complex commercial litigation and dispute resolution with a particular emphasis on corporate, property, trade practices and contractual disputes. He acts both for major corporate clients and government clients in such matters.
Norman has extensive experience in all aspects of dispute resolution including litigation, arbitration, expert determination and mediation. He has also acted for clients in investigations and inquiries conducted by regulatory authorities such as ASIC, ICAC, the Australian Crime Commission and in Royal Commissions. Norman is a co-author of Ready & Responsive, a guide to Royal Commissions, Inquiries & Investigations.
Norman is also the Pro Bono Partner for the Sydney office and the Partner in charge of the Sydney office.
Extensive experience in complex commercial litigation in the areas of:
- Administrative law
- Misleading and deceptive conduct
- Class actions
- Regulatory inquiries and investigations
- Royal Commissions
- Shareholder and joint venture disputes
- Corporations Act matters (including directors’ duties and shareholder remedies)
- Defamation and reputation management
- Acted for Deloitte in its defence of auditor negligence proceedings in the Federal Court
- Acted for Optus in judicial review proceedings commenced by Telstra concerning access determinations made by the ACCC
- Acting for Fitch Ratings Inc. in its defence of a Federal Court class action proceeding concerning the rating of synthetic collateralised debt obligations
- Acted for Family & Community Services in the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse
- Acted for Sydney Water in various expert determinations and mediations under an infrastructure deed relating to the North West Growth Centre
- Acted for a high profile individual in investigations and a hearing conducted by the Australian Crime Commission as part of Project Wickenby
- Assisting a New South Wales government department respond to a Privileges Committee Inquiry
- Acting for Roads and Maritime Services in various property disputes concerning land at Rozelle Bay, Blackwattle Bay and Walsh Bay
- Acted for a major professional services firm in its defence of sexual harassment and defamation proceedings
- Acted for a National Rugby League player agent in a contractual dispute
- Acted for Shangri-La Hotels in its defence of negligence proceedings arising out of a boating accident in the Maldives
- Acting for a director of a private educational college in respect of freezing orders and other relief sought by the ACCC in the Federal Court
- Acted for an international religious organisation based in Hong Kong in NSW Supreme Court proceedings seeking to regain control of substantial assets situated in Australia
- 2019 Best Lawyers for Alternative Dispute Resolution & Litigation
- 2018 Best Lawyers for Alternative Dispute Resolution
- 2017 Best Lawyers for Alternative Dispute Resolution
- 2018 Legal 500 Asia Pacific for Dispute Resolution
- 2017 Legal 500 Asia Pacific for Dispute Resolution
- 2016 Legal 500 Asia Pacific for Dispute Resolution
- 2015 Legal 500 Asia Pacific for Dispute Resolution
Clients say Norman is “really commercial”; “pragmatic”; “timely and great to deal with”; and his advice is “concise and clear”.