Paula is a financial services lawyer with specialist expertise in managed funds. She has close to 15 years’ experience in the Australian funds industry and has been named in the Asia Top 500 lawyers. Her experience includes advising responsible entities, investment managers, investment banks, custodians, administrators, financial advisors and other key stakeholders in the funds industry.
Paula advises on a full range of matters, including funds establishment and offerings (both Australian and offshore and wholesale and retail offerings), investment management, outsourcing arrangements, operations, custody, distribution, fund rationalisation and closures, Australian financial services licensing matters, regulatory and compliance issues, interactions with ASIC and general corporate and commercial law matters.
Paula has helped establish and launch funds specialising in equities, fixed interest, property, infrastructure, carbon and alternative assets (including hedge funds and private equity), as well as capital protected and highly structured funds using a range of synthetic instruments (such as swaps, deferred purchase agreements and note programs). She has expertise in establishing funds in Australia, Cayman Islands, Singapore, Ireland, Luxembourg and the United States.
- Funds establishment and offerings
- Investment management
- Funds rationalisation and closures
- Outsourcing arrangements, operations, custody and distribution
- Australian financial services licensing matters
- Financial services regulatory and compliance issues
- Corporate and commercial law
- Regulatory advice to responsible entities, fund managers, and other financial services participants.
- Advice to numerous offshore financial institutions enabling their products and services to be offered in Australia.
- Advised a range of professional responsible entity service providers on their retail and wholesale product offerings covering many asset classes (including equities, fixed income, property, carbon and infrastructure).
- Establishing over 25 offshore fund vehicles for various fund managers (predominantly in the Cayman Islands), as well as listing on the Irish Stock Exchange.
- Advised Valuestream Investment Management and UBS AG on their Global Access Fund which gives exposure to various asset classes via a deferred purchase agreement.
- Advised CP2 on the establishment of their infrastructure fund that invests in direct infrastructure assets and publicly listed securities.
- Advised Merrill Lynch on its offer of Catalyst, Premium China and Instreet funds.
- Advised Goldman Sachs on their Keystone Funds (guaranteed by National Australia Bank Limited) which gives exposure to offshore indices via a swap.
- Advised Macquarie Bank on their ASX listed fund which gives capital protected exposure to the Winton Futures Fund using a deferred purchase agreement, hedged by an asset linked note program issued by Goldman Sachs.
- Advised Perpetual Investment Management on three self-managed accounts structured as registered schemes and which provide CPPI exposure.
- Advised AMP Capital Investors on their AMP China Fund 1 and AMP China Fund 2 which gives exposure using DPAs and CPPI capital guarantees.
- Advised Aurora Funds Management and Sandringham Capital on their ASX listed fund Aurora Sandringham Dividend Income Trust.
- Advised Citigroup Global Markets Australia on issuance programs for the YIELDS and Market Linked Investments.