Peter is a leading Australian energy sector lawyer, with more than 20 years’ experience. He acts for energy utilities, energy sector investors and Government on energy projects, transactional and commercial work, as well as energy market regulatory work.
- Energy project and transactional work:
- renewable energy generation projects (solar, wind, biomass and waste)
- distributed energy projects (solar panels, batteries, demand response technology)
- coal and gas power station projects
- electricity and gas network development, construction and operation
- wholesale and retail energy trading and contracting
- energy sector M&A transactions and privatisations
- Energy market regulation and restructuring:
- Government on the establishment and implementation of reforms to State and National electricity and gas markets
- energy utilities on regulatory advice and submissions to regulatory bodies and rule makers on the application of energy regulatory frameworks to their infrastructure and commercial operations.
Peter has been recognised by leading legal directories, Chambers Asia Pacific for Energy & Natural Resources, Best Lawyers for Energy and IFLR1000 for Energy & Infrastructure and Project Development. Clients have commented that “Peter Limbers stands out for his expert handling of transactional and regulatory mandates in the utilities sector, advising on both electricity and gas-related issues.”
- EnergyAustralia – advising on solar and wind farms including: Ross River, Manildra, Coleambally and Beryl Solar Farms and the Bodangora Wind Farm.
- EnergyAustralia – acting on its participation in the Ballarat and Gannawarra Battery Storage Projects in Victoria, financed by the Victorian Government and ARENA.
- Calvin Capital (KKR group) – advising on their bid for acquisition of:
- Origin Energy’s metring business (Acumen)
- AGL’s metering business (Active Stream).
- Aussie Super and IFM Investors – acting on their acquisition of a controlling interest in the Ausgrid network leasehold assets.
- Macquarie Infrastructure and Real Estate Assets (MIRA) – on their acquisition of a controlling interest in the Endeavour Energy network leasehold assets.
- EnergyAustralia, Delta Electricity, Alinta Energy – wholesale & retail energy and environmental products contracting, covering a wide range of:
- electricity, environmental products and gas ISDA derivative contracts and transaction
- retail energy sale and supply agreements for residential, small business and C&I customers (including complex book build and environmental product charging methodologies)
- solar panel and demand response products and services agreements
- embedded generator power purchase and renewable energy purchase agreements.
- Braemar Power gas business – advising on:
- wholesale gas sale, swap and storage agreements, as well as ISDA gas derivatives
- gas transmission pipeline haulage contracts
- advices on gas spot market trading in the East Coast STTM, Vic Wholesale Market, and Gas Trading Exchange under the National Gas Law and Rules.
- NSW Government – Energy Markets advisory: acting on the:
- establishment and implementation of the National Gas Pipeline Access Regime
- establishment and implementation of the National Electricity Market
- corporatisation of the State Owned electricity sector.
- Council of Australian Governments (COAG) – acting on a comprehensive review of the National Electricity Market governance and liability arrangements.
- Chambers Asia Pacific | 2013 – 2019, Ranked Bands 2 & 3, Energy & Natural Resources. “Peter Limbers stands out for his expert handling of transactional and regulatory mandates in the utilities sector, advising on both electricity and gas-related issues. He played a key role in the representation of IFM Investors and AustralianSuper in the acquisition of a controlling interest in a 99 year lease of Ausgrid.”
- Best Lawyers Australia | 2013 – 2019, Leading Individual, Energy.
- IFLR1000 | 2017 and 2018, Highly Regarded, Energy & Infrastructure and Project Development
- IFLR1000 | 2015, Leading Lawyer, Energy (Australia) and Oil & Gas (Australia)