Richard has extensive commercial property and infrastructure project experience, drawn from his most recent role as General Counsel at VicTrack and from his former roles as Partner and Special Counsel at other leading national law firms.
During his 20-year career, he has played a key part in providing strategic and legal advice in relation to commercial and residential property developments, urban and waterfront renewal projects, infrastructure projects, major commercial leasing transactions (acting for both landlord and tenant), major commercial and hotel acquisitions and disposals and retirement village acquisitions and developments in Victoria and Tasmania.
Richard is an outcome-focused lawyer who takes a pragmatic and commercial approach to matters based on his understanding of his client's specific needs. He seeks to appropriately allocate risk and minimise costs and hazards for his clients by providing timely advice at an early stage of a transaction. Richard has an innate ability to deal with problems as and when they arise to effectively manage workloads. and client expectations. This leaves Richard particularly well placed to navigate the issues presented in order to achieve arrangements commercially acceptable to all parties.
Urban / Waterfront redevelopment
- A $12 billion redevelopment of the Melbourne Docklands including the Media House development in airspace over the active rail network, the ANZ headquarters on Collins Street and the New Quay and Waterfront City developments
- Parliament Square Redevelopment Project (including development and leasing of 15,000sqm of Government office space and creation of new public open space areas) in Hobart CBD
- Development of the new third international container terminal, automotive terminal and associated facilities at Webb Dock in the Port of Melbourne
- Advisory work in relation to land access, development and early works packages for significant rail transport projects in metropolitan and regional Victoria, including Melbourne Metro Tunnel, Level Crossing Removal and Regional Rail Revival projects
- Lead legal advisor on agreement for lease and lease of 20,000sqm commercial office space (incorporating a fully integrated office fitout) for a large telecommunications provider
- Lead legal advisor for Victorian Department of Treasury and Finance on 10,000sqm of Government office space in Dandenong
Commercial property/ hotels
- Team lead for the $130million acquisition of the Park Hyatt Hotel in Melbourne by a foreign purchaser
- Acted for ASX-listed entity on the expression of interest and subsequent disposal of, and grant of development rights over, a 140ha development site in Melbourne’s northern growth corridor to a listed property developer.
- Acted for an international REIT in its acquisition of multi-level private medical centre at Westmead, NSW
- Managed Victorian retirement village conveyancing portfolio for listed retirement living provider (25 villages around metropolitan Melbourne)\
- Acted on the purchase of two 150-unit retirement villages for ASX-listed retirement living operator