Robert is an experienced commercial lawyer who focusses on advising and acting for Australian and international government and corporate clients in the following key areas:
- Technology, Media and Telecommunications
- Advertising, Brands and Marketing
- Competition (anti-trust) and Consumer Law
His clients operate in or regulate market sectors including telecommunications, media and technology, energy, education, health, financial services, property, retail and not-for-profit.
- Complex Technology Transactions – drafting and advising on IT system (including hardware and/or software) tenders, supply and financing contracts, dispute avoidance and resolution
- Online businesses and contracting, including protection and exploitation of media and other IP rights in the online and converged environment
- Personal privacy, data protection, statutory secrecy and cyber security
- Internet governance and regulation
- Intellectual Property – copyright, confidentiality agreements, trade marks and patents – protection, commercialisation, IP due diligence investigation
- Competition and Consumer Law – advising on all aspects of the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 and responding to investigations by the ACCC and other regulators
- Corporate and Commercial law: sales and acquisitions of businesses, assets (particularly IP and IT assets), shares and units; corporate and asset (particularly IP asset) structuring advice; general Corporations Act 2001 compliance and general commercial advice
- Commonwealth legislative and administrative power.
- Advising businesses and Federal, State and Local government departments on outsourcing, ICT and related services procurement and development including tendering and ICT procurement dispute avoidance and resolution strategies and non-litigious dispute resolution
- Advising the Victorian Department of Justice on its outsourcing arrangements for the Victorian Infringement Management System and Enforcement Management System
- Advising education sector regulators, public universities and private education providers on education sector regulatory compliance and investigations; ICT procurement, dispute avoidance and resolution; IP protection and commercialisation
- Advising professional sporting bodies and arts institutions on media rights protection and exploitation, sponsorship and commercial contracts
- Advising public and private hospitals and health sector businesses in relation to ICT procurement, dispute avoidance and resolution; patient privacy and health records compliance & research arrangements; IP protection and commercialisation
- Advising a multinational consumer telecommunications equipment provider regarding tap and go payment services
- Advising financial services providers and Fintech businesses regarding online payment system products and compliance
- Advising .au Domain Administration Ltd (auDA) on the governance and operation of the .au Domain Name System
- Brand protection (including trade mark registration, licensing and enforcement)
- Advising startup businesses in a range of sectors on establishment, fundraising, customer and supplier engagement, brand development and protection.
- Listed in the 2016 edition of Doyle’s Guide a recommended Technology, Media & Telecommunications Lawyer.
- Recognised in the 2016 edition of Legal 500 Asia Pacific in the category of Technology, Media & Telecommunications.
- Recognised in the 2015 edition of Legal 500 Asia Pacific in the category of Intellectual property.