Rob is an experienced commercial lawyer who focusses on advising and acting for Australian and international government and corporate clients in the following key areas:
- Technology, Media and Telecommunications
- Advertising, Brands and Marketing and Competition (anti-trust) and Consumer Law
His clients operate in or regulate market sectors including education, energy, telecommunications, media and technology, professional sport, not-for-profit, retail, property and financial services.
Rob leads Maddocks national Education Sector team and has deep experience advising universities, private sector education providers, schools and education sector regulators in relation to governance and commercial matters.
- Complex Technology Transactions – drafting and advising on IT system (including hardware and/or software) tenders, supply and financing contracts, dispute avoidance and resolution
- Online businesses and contracting, including protection and exploitation of media and other IP rights in the online and converged environment
- Personal privacy, data protection, statutory secrecy and cyber security
- Internet governance and regulation
- Intellectual Property – copyright, confidentiality agreements, trade marks and patents – protection, commercialisation, IP due diligence investigation
- Competition and Consumer Law – advising on all aspects of the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 and responding to investigations by the ACCC and other regulators
- Corporate and Commercial law: sales and acquisitions of businesses, assets (particularly IP and IT assets), shares and units; corporate and asset (particularly IP asset) structuring advice; general Corporations Act 2001 compliance and general commercial advice
- Commonwealth legislative and administrative power.
- Advising businesses and Federal, State and Local government departments on outsourcing, ICT and related services procurement and development including tendering and ICT procurement dispute avoidance and resolution strategies and non-litigious dispute resolution
- Advising the Victorian Department of Justice on its outsourcing arrangements for the Victorian Infringement Management System and Enforcement Management System
- Advising education sector regulators, public universities and private education providers on education sector regulatory compliance and investigations; ICT procurement, dispute avoidance and resolution; IP protection and commercialisation
- Advising professional sporting bodies and arts institutions on media rights protection and exploitation, sponsorship and commercial contracts
- Advising public and private hospitals and health sector businesses in relation to ICT procurement, dispute avoidance and resolution; patient privacy and health records compliance & research arrangements; IP protection and commercialisation
- Advising a multinational consumer telecommunications equipment provider regarding tap and go payment services
- Advising financial services providers and Fintech businesses regarding online payment system products and compliance
- Advising .au Domain Administration Ltd (auDA) on the governance and operation of the .au Domain Name System
- Brand protection (including trade mark registration, licensing and enforcement)
- Advising startup businesses in a range of sectors on establishment, fundraising, customer and supplier engagement, brand development and protection.
- Recognised in the 2017/2018 edition of Legal 500 Asia Pacific for Technology, Media & Telecommunications and Intellectual Property.
- Listed in Doyle’s Guide for Technology, Media and Telecommunications each year from 2013 to 2017.
- Listed in the Asialaw Leading Lawyers’ client survey as one of Australia’s leading IT, Media and Telecommunications lawyers.