Background and legal expertise
Sefton has a well-established track record advising a range of construction industry participants including project proponents from both the private and public sectors as well as contractors and financiers across a range of industry sectors in respect of major projects both in Australia and overseas.
His practical skills and experience have been exclusively focussed on the front-end of construction projects, including drafting and reviewing project documentation such as construction contracts and ancillary documentation (consultancy, supply and direct deeds), reviewing legislation (including trade occupational licensing) and leading the negotiation process on some of Australia’s most complex and high profile projects. He also provides a variety of project advice, support and training.
Sefton is recommended for Project Finance/Development in the latest edition of Best Lawyers Australia and listed as a Construction/Infrastructure rising star in Doyle’s Guide 2016.
Relevant experience and recent projects
- Melbourne Metro PPP project– acting for the successful D&C Subcontractor for the Melbourne Metro PPP – Tunnels and Stations Project, comprising Bouygues, John Holland and Lendlease.
- East West Link PPP project – acting for the successful D&C Subcontractor for the East West Link PPP Project (including the workout following cancellation), comprising Acciona, Bouygues and Lendlease.
- WestConnex New M5 project – acting for a bidder for WestConnex New M5 Project (Sydney).
- Victorian Comprehensive Cancer Centre project – acting for the successful D&C Subcontractor for the Victorian Comprehensive Cancer Centre Project, comprising Grocon and PCL Constructors.
- Amazon – advising on the launch and construction of warehouse and distribution facilities in Australia.
- Museums Victoria – acting on a capital redevelopment program across multiple sites.
- Melbourne Quarter development – acting for VicRoads in connection with the Melbourne Quarter development site above Wurundjeri Way (including construction and long-term maintenance arrangements).
- VicTrack – acting in relation to various rail and non-rail sites and projects.
- Electra Net – advising on various construction documents.
- GDF Suez – advising on the preparation, tender and negotiation of major outage, on-going station maintenance and mine maintenance contracts for the Hazelwood Power Station and Mine.
- AirTrunk – advising on the construction and funding of two scaleable data centres in New South Wales and Victoria.
- ServiceStream – advising on its procurement suite.
- Essendon Airport – advising on the long term redevelopment of Essendon Fields.