Siobhan is a Special Counsel in our Dispute Resolution & Litigation team. She has a broad ranging commercial litigation practice with a background in public liability and insurance claims and advice. Before joining Maddocks, Siobhan worked exclusively in the area of insurance litigation, predominantly on behalf of local government in public liability, personal injury and property damage claims and also in the area of industrial special risk claims.
Siobhan takes a leading supervisory role in the Commercial Disputes team, supervising teams of more junior practitioners and she enjoys co-ordinating and strategising large litigation by working closely with clients and Counsel. She also takes a keen interest in drafting litigation management protocols and advising clients on risk management strategies generally.
- General insurance advice on public liability and professional indemnity policies.
- Public liability defence litigation and defence of Victorian Workcover Association (VWA) and Transport Accident Commission (TAC) recovery claims.
- Common law negligence and Wrongs Act claims.
- Risk management advice.
- Trade practices advice and litigation.
- Retail tenancy disputes and advice.
- Contractual and business disputes.
- Wills and estates litigation.
- Defending local council in the Supreme Court of Victoria against a personal injury claim relating to delayed post-traumatic stress disorder arising after the collapse of part of a building some 24 years previously.
- Defending a state body against personal injury claims by volunteers.
- Defending a state body and state government against a VWA recovery action and common law claim relating to personal injuries sustained by a member of the public attending a fundraising event.
- Defending a commonwealth departmnet against a personal injury claim by a subcontracted security guard.
- Responsible for defending a complex multi-million dollar personal injury claim in the Supreme Court of New South Wales on behalf of an international insurance agency and a European bicycle design company in Germany. The litigation involved co-coordinating complex medical and expert opinions, preparing witness statements for overseas witnesses and advising on private international law and conflict of laws issues.
- Representing various Victorian local councils in relation to public liability claims resulting from personal injury and property damage.
- Defending a Danish genetic research institute, against a novel claim in the Supreme Court of Victoria arising out of the termination of a health pregnancy based on genetic testing.
- Advising and representing a state agency on a variety of matters including insurance issues, testator’s family maintenance claims and complex estate disputes.