Sonia has wide ranging experience advising on technology, cyber, telecommunication and general commercial matters.
Sonia specialises in cyber and data resilience advice with particular experience conducting privacy impact assessments and providing privacy advice on new cutting edge technologies as well as advising on complex privacy issues for ‘big data’, consents, cloud-computing, cross-border transfers and data breach laws; intellectual property, including the exploitation and distribution of content across all platforms including apps and drafting and negotiating licence agreements for collaborative research projects; technology, including acting for both suppliers and customers in respect of business process outsourcings and technology procurement; and telecommunications, including representation in regulatory inquiries and advising on strategic policy issues for the digital economy.
Sonia also has over 10 years general commercial law experience and regularly assists clients with “business as usual” work and compliance with the Australian consumer law.
As a lawyer with previous experience as an Editor in the music industry, Sonia brings a unique commercial and practical focus in dealing with legal issues and risks on the creation, dissemination, commercialisation and exploitation of data, information, technology and content.
Sonia has a track record of working closely with clients to drive organisational change through developing and implementing robust training and educational programs in respect of high risks areas such as privacy and Australian Consumer Law compliance.
Sonia is the current Editor of the Maddocks Technology Blog, TechKnowChat, as well as the author of chapters in the Lexis Nexis Practical Guidance to Cybersecurity, Data Protection & Privacy module.
- Cyber and data resilience (including Australian privacy laws and the application of the GDPR to Australian organisations)
- Intellectual property
- Technology and general procurement
- General commercial law (including the Australian Consumer Law).
Cyber and data resilience (Privacy)
- Conducting a detailed privacy impact assessment for Transport for New South Wales’ new cloud based customer management system (CRMS) for property acquisitions in order to identify and mitigate privacy and data issues and developing a compliance strategy which included drafting educational and training materials for the staff using CRMS, drafting a memorandums of understanding to be used by government agencies using the CRMS, drafting privacy notification and consents and drafting a data breach response plan.
- Advising clients on their compliance strategy for the seminal mandatory data breach laws in Australia, including drafting data breach response plans and/or implementing educational and training programs including for Fitness and Lifestyle Group (the owner of FitnessFirst. Goodlife and Jetts fitness brands), Sony, Deutsche Bank, Baxter and Axicom.
- Advising Australian organisations such as Diageo Australia, Sydney Airport, Fitness Lifestyle Group, NetComm Wireless, i-Med, Rakuten Securities Australia and more on the application of the GDPR and assisting clients on their journey towards GDPR compliance by drafting GDPR Notifications, consents and advising on data processing addendums between ‘controllers’ and ‘processors’.
- Advising Sydney Airport on privacy issues and risks for the implementation of Sydney Airport’s cutting edge facial recognition technology.
- Preparation of terms and conditions for ‘Influencers’ and clients and advising on all legal aspects for talent management agency IMGs’ service Engage, which connects brands to social media influencers to help brands run their campaigns.
- Advising Samsung on strategic content deals with:
- News Limited, involving the provision of pre-loaded news content applications onto Samsung’s Galaxy Tablet; and
- FOX SPORTS for content development services on applications for Samsung’s Smart TVs and mobile devices for the Rugby Championship
- Over ten years’ experience working strategically with Macquarie Telecom and the Competitive Carriers’ Coalition to implement their respective regulatory responses, including advising and drafting Macquarie Telecom’s submissions in response to various Government and ACCC inquiries into the National Broadband Network and related Telecommunications reforms.
- Advising NetComm Wireless on its supply arrangements of critical components for the National Broadband Network.
- Sonia was shortlisted as a finalist in the Young Achiever category for her contributions to the communications industry and outstanding commitment to client service for the Communications Alliance and CommsDay Awards (ACOMM Awards).
- Media Law International refers to Sonia as a ‘leading lawyer / one to watch’ for her work in the content and media space.