Background and Legal Expertise
Suzanne is an experienced, strategic litigator with particular expertise in property law disputes including lease, sale of land, owners corporations, adverse possession and road disputes.
With over 18 years of experience, Suzanne’s clients benefit from her strategic approach and a strong attention to detail. Working closely with her clients to understand their needs and objectives, Suzanne focuses on achieving the best possible commercial outcomes for them.
Suzanne is an experienced negotiator who regularly appears at mediations and successfully obtains settlements on behalf of her clients. She has extensive experience in conducting trials in the Supreme and Federal Courts and has a solid track record in obtaining judgments for her clients.
Suzanne frequently represents Local and State Government departments and agencies as well as private organisations, including property developers.
Suzanne also has experience representing clients in contract, corporations, competition and consumer, administrative law, superannuation, negligence and insurance related disputes.
Suzanne has conducted proceedings in the Supreme Courts in Victoria, South Australia, New South Wales and Queensland, the Federal Court, the High Court, and before specialist tribunals including the Commonwealth Administrative Appeals Tribunal. Her experience includes:
- Obtaining judgment for a landlord client, Meteorite Property in Meteorite Property (Bourke Street) Pty Ltd v New Concept Investment Pty Ltd & Ors  VCC 119 which involved a claim against a tenant and guarantors for unpaid outgoing adjustments. The Judge agreed with our interpretation of relevant clauses of the lease and a deed of assignment.
- Acting for the Swinburne University of Technology in defending a claim by a tenant for loss arising out of disruption to business.
- Acting for the City of Stonnington in VCAT proceedings by a tenant disputing the validity of a demolition notice. Suzanne settled the matter at a compulsory conference resulting in an agreed vacation by the tenant. This enabled Council to avoid further costs and delays of redevelopment of the building which Council now occupies as headquarters.
- Acting for the South Gippsland Shire Council in Supreme Court proceedings by a land owner claiming damages arising out of a road on title.
- Acting for Light Project Pty Ltd defending proceedings in the Supreme Court of NSW involving the supply of light fittings to a commercial refurbishment.
- Acting for Goulburn Murray Water as to potential negligence claims.
- Acting for Dr Djiniyini Gondarra in Gondarra v Minister for Families, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs  FCA 25 seeking the judicial review of a Ministerial decision relating to consent to a lease and approval of a multi-party agreement relating to mining operations in the Northern Territory. Our client and key witnesses resided in Gove peninsula and Suzanne and her team successfully coordinated the evidence despite the logistic challenges.
- Acting for The Optical Superstore in Federal Court proceedings including; Specsavers Pty Ltd v The Optical Superstore Pty Ltd (No 3)  FCA 504, successfully obtained judgment for the payment of damages pursuant to an undertaking given by Specsavers for an injunction granted against The Optical Superstore which was subsequently dismissed in previous court proceedings; defending an appeal from Specsavers Pty Ltd v The Optical Superstore Pty Ltd (No 4), where our client obtained judgment for costs, the Court finding that an offer of compromise served by Specsavers was not more favourable to our client than the outcome upon judgment
- Acting for Diversa Trustees Limited on the following claims by superannuation fund members for total and permanent disablement benefit; claim in the Magistrates Court settled following mediation; claim in the District Court of Queensland settled at mediation; claim in the County Court of Victoria concerning interesting issues as to the interpretation of insurance policy for benefit, settled at mediation; claim in the County Court of Victoria with dispute as to whether benefit is insured