Timothy is a partner in the firm’s Dispute Resolution & Litigation group and has more than 10 years’ experience in advising on commercial disputes work and acting for clients in legal proceedings. Before joining Maddocks, Timothy worked in the Commercial Litigation group at Freehills for more than 10 years. During that time, he acted for large corporations in a wide variety of large and complex commercial disputes.
Timothy has particular expertise in relation to the law on misleading and deceptive conduct and the new Australian Consumer Law.
- Advising and acting for large corporations in most Australian forums in most types of disputes and litigation including contracts, Corporations Act, Trade Practices Act (now the Competition and Consumer Act), equity and trusts, regulatory investigations and criminal prosecutions, negligence, insolvency, insurance and bonds, misleading or deceptive and unconscionable conduct, competitive/antitrust and stamp duties.
- Advising on corporate transactions including providing ad-hoc advice on contract terms and litigation risks and providing litigation advice for due diligence reports.
Recent notable cases
- Acted for Sydney Airport and the Commonwealth of Australia in proceedings seeking to overturn a $500m stamp duty assessment imposed by the NSW Government arising from the privatisation of Sydney Airport.
- Acted for Seven Network Limited in its $400m C7 litigation against News Limited, Telstra, Foxtel, Nine Network, National Rugby League, among others.
- Acted for Swiss Re and a US insurance company in their $US22m trust and unconscionable conduct claim against the administrators of former Australian miner Pasminco.
- Acted for Hong Kong based global commodities trader/producer Noble Resources Group in proceedings it brought against Xstrata concerning a disputed multimillion dollar coal contract.