"I am very impressed with Maddocks. They understand our company and its needs and work well together with us in finding the best and most practical direction."
—Client feedback in Chambers Asia 2018
"I have not found anyone else who is as easy to deal with. They are reliable without a fault."
—Client feedback in Chambers Asia 2018
Government, policy makers and businesses see the built environment as the foundation of a growing economy and increasing employment. Our governments can orchestrate the strategy, priorities and the pace with which infrastructure and development projects are proposed, planned and delivered at Commonwealth, State and Local levels.
Global capital reserves are at the ready and opportunity is knocking. The creation of a steady, sustainable pipeline of work is paramount for the mid to long-term economic landscape in Australia and more broadly, across the Asia Pacific.
We offer the specialist legal advice necessary to deliver major development projects and infrastructure. Our diverse experience across geographies and areas of industry provides a platform for exceptional legal advice in:
- government policies and legislation, approval procedures and regulation
- project structuring and project development strategies
- risk identification, allocation and management
- project delivery methods ranging from traditional procurement to PPPs, alliancing, managing contractor and other less traditional approaches
- development of contract documents including concession and project agreements, development agreements and ancillary project documents
- market sounding, EOI and tender processes and tender documents
- financing arrangements
- property & real estate development and related transactions
- disposal and acquisition of property interests
- planning and environmental considerations
- project management and consultancy agreements
- facilities management and operation and maintenance contracts
- legal strategy during contract administration and project delivery
- management of claims and disputes.
The strength of our lawyers is advising on the commercial, technical and practical matters required to deliver infrastructure that works, is delivered on time, and supports the needs of the communities that such projects serve. We pride ourselves on understanding the business imperatives and the sectors in which you operate. We’re geared to helping you to identify issues before they become problems. The result? Successfully delivered projects.
We represent the broad range of parties involved in delivering major infrastructure projects, including government and government agencies, sponsors, financiers, contractors, specialist subcontractors and major equipment suppliers on projects like these:
- advising the winning consortium on the $1.6 billion Toowoomba Second Range Crossing PPP
- advising the underbidder on the Victorian East West Link PPP including all aspects of the construction
- advising on the Melbourne University Student Accommodation PPP – including advising Watpac on all aspects of the design and construction of the accommodation and ancillary facilities and its relationship with the Sponsors and the University of Melbourne
- advising an underbidder on the NSW Northern Beaches Hospital Project on its Operator-led bid to design, construct, finance, operate and maintain the Northern Beaches Hospital
- advising on all legal aspects of the NSW Wynyard Walk project including the procurement process, contract documents, approvals, land acquisitions, regulatory advice, safety, interface agreements, disputes and ad hoc issues arising.
Our lawyers speak your language. We approach your matters in the same way you deliver your projects. At the front of our process sits detailed planning, and we track, monitor and communicate progress across the entire project lifecycle. You can expect seamless access to our people (we’ll even join you on site), meaning you’ll receive consistent, considered guidance from the moment we are engaged.
We’re proud supporters and members of the following associations:
Property Council Australia (PCA)
Urban Development Institute of Australia (UDIA)
Infrastructure Partnerships Australia (IPA)
International Project Finance Association (IPFA)
Australian Water Association (AWA)
Australian Indonesia Business Council (AIBC)
Centre for Economic Development Australia (CEDA)
Awards and recognition
Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2017) has recommended Maddocks in Construction, Projects and Infrastructure and Real Estate.
Doyle’s Guide (2016/17) has recommended and ranked Maddocks in Construction.
Chambers Asia Pacific (2017) has ranked Maddocks in Construction and Real Estate.
Best Lawyers 2017 lists Greg Badcock, David Hartney and Nick Holuigue as leading Real Property Lawyers and Andrew Chapman, Mathew Stulic and Paul Woods as leading Construction/Infrastructure lawyers.