“For many of our clients, 2015 will see a shift in priorities and areas of focus as they embark on programs and projects that implement new government policy. We know that during a period of significant change, our government clients appreciate legal advice that is practical, strategic, and founded in a deep knowledge of the sector.”
James Smart – Partner and Sector Leader – State Government VIC
We get government.
Creating strong policy frameworks, delivering robust social, education and health services while building much needed infrastructure are all priorities for the Victorian State Government. The public’s strong appetite for ethical behaviour, transparency and fiscal accountability and competing demands for available funding all contribute to an environment where solid, sound legal guidance is vital.
Our advice to State Government departments and statutory authorities ranges from complex strategic policy advice and multi-million dollar projects involving a number of different agencies to supporting policy implementation and day to day activities.
We have an unwavering focus on taking care of the needs of the departments and agencies we serve through advising in the following areas:
- commercial contracts – contract drafting and negotiation, government procurement, governance, projects, IT and IP, outsourcing, contract disputes and dispute resolution
- construction and projects – procurement options, construction projects, construction disputes
- employment, industrial relations, and OH&S – strategic IR, individual and collective employment agreements, HR management, terminations, OH&S systems, bullying, crisis management, inquests
- planning and environment – Environmental Effects Statements, legislative advice, climate change advice
- property – property redevelopment projects, acquisitions and disposals, leasing and licensing
- regulation and administrative law – administrative law interpretation, public sector governance, risk based compliance frameworks, compliance and enforcement, FOI and privacy, prosecutions, statutory interpretation, legislative advice
- Royal Commissions and Inquiries.
Government is our core business and Maddocks’ lawyers are deeply embedded in government. Our focus and investment in the sector means our people have acquired considerable expertise and understanding of government’s political and policy drivers as well as the necessary commercial requirements needed to successfully outsource government functions. We also understand the necessary commercial requirements needed by government to successfully outsource its functions. These include reviewing government’s entire land holding policies, advising on major contract procurement activities, advising on the State’s highly sensitive and extensive enterprise bargaining which led to the Victorian Public Service Determination, managing vast leasing portfolios for government agencies and advising on how best to deliver major infrastructure projects.
We also know the importance of working within the parameters of Gateway to add value to the procurement process. Our government clients tell us that we are reliable, responsive, informed and have a strong grasp of the unique landscape that is the public sector environment. Maddocks proudly owns an enviable track record having advised more than 100 Victorian Government Departments and Agencies.
For us, delivering value means that we are cost conscious, transparent and innovative in the way we approach fees. We know government activities attract a high level of public scrutiny and that all expenditure must clearly demonstrate value for money.
Our lawyers are committed to building deep relationships forged by continuity of client teams and a conscious focus on hands on partner accessibility and availability. And, we are proud to give back. Maddocks proudly associates with the following industry bodies:
Corporate Member IPAA Victoria
Major Sponsor of IPAA Victoria 2014
Law Institute of Victoria
Property Council of Victoria
Urban Development Institute of Australia
Here’s where we contribute to industry debate:
Maddocks Signature Lunch series: we host an annual lunch series consisting of key note speakers addressing topics of interest to our government clients. Our speakers include State and Federal Ministers, leaders in industry and senior bureaucrats, who share their views and insights for the benefit of our government clients.
Awards and recognition
Best lawyers 2017
- Paul Woods – recognised for Construction/Infrastructure
- Andrew Pitney – recognised for Construction/Infrastructure
- Mark Henry – recognised for Government; Public Law
- Ross Jackson – recognised for Labour and Employment
- Catherine Dunlop – recognised for Occupational Health and Safety
- David Laidlaw – recognised for Litigation
Chambers Asia 2017
- Maddocks is ranked in the following areas: Construction; Corporate and M&A; Employment; Environment; Government; Real Estate; Restructuring and insolvency; Technology, Media and Telecommunications (TMT); IT and Telecommunications
- Andrew Pitney is ranked in Construction
- Paul woods is ranked in Construction
- Ross Jackson is ranked in Employment
- Mark Henry is ranked in government
Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2016/17
Recognised for the following areas:
- Corporate and M&A
- Dispute Resolution
- Intellectual property
- Real estate
- Restructuring and Insolvency
- Workplace, Health and Safety
Doyle’s Guide 2016/17
Recommended for the following areas:
- Employment – VIC
- Work Health & Safety – VIC
- Planning & Environment – VIC
- Environment – VIC
- Property & Real Estate – VIC
- Insolvency & Reconstruction – VIC
- Corporate – VIC
- Taxation – VIC