"They've been fundamental to our growth strategy. We couldn't have done everything without their level of diligence."
—Client feedback in Chambers Asia 2017
"They are very hands-on and keep me updated and in the loop."
—Client feedback in Chambers Asia 2017
The healthcare sector is a diverse, complex part of the Australian economy, critical to the wellbeing of all Australians. It is currently in a transformative phase with increasing market consolidation and strong investor demand for healthcare assets. Demographic trends and technological change demand substantial investment in healthcare infrastructure and healthcare expenditure remains a significant fiscal challenge for all levels of government. That challenge represents a significant opportunity for government, private and not-for-profit sectors to develop services and infrastructure which foster innovation, productivity and competition.
Our team comprises specialist healthcare lawyers with decades of combined experience working in the sector. These professionals are supported by subject matter experts in employment, property, construction, infrastructure, tax and dispute resolution. Our public and private sector experience means we understand healthcare from its deepest policy underpinnings through to ultimate delivery of safe, efficient and effective healthcare services to patients and consumers.
We work with a diverse range of clients across the healthcare sector, including:
- hospitals and health services (including public and private hospitals, day facilities, medical specialist centres and diagnostic services such as pathology and diagnostic imaging)
- aged care facilities and services (including residential care facilities and home care services)
- private health insurers
- therapeutic goods providers (including pharmaceuticals, medical devices and animal health)
- disability services providers
- universities/higher education providers (responsible for educating health care professionals, providing healthcare services, driving and undertaking research and clinical innovation)
- governments at all levels.
We offer innovative, sophisticated legal services in areas such as:
- acquisition, divestment and privatisation of healthcare businesses and assets
- pharmaceutical supply chain
- healthcare law, including relevant legislative and performance frameworks
- contracting and procurement
- construction and health infrastructure (including public private partnerships)
- employment and industrial law
- regulation of healthcare professionals
- investigations, complaints and inquests
- privacy and information management
- property and planning
- dispute resolution
- protection and licensing of intellectual property
- risk management and clinical governance
- technology and eHealth.
We understand healthcare, its commercial dynamics, legal and regulatory frameworks and the complex policy environment in which providers operate. Members of our healthcare team have advised on a range of significant matters in the sector, including:
- advising the Australian subsidiary of a global medical products and services company on its divestment of its renal replacement therapy business
- advising a private hospital operator led consortium on its bid for the construction and operation of a public/private hospital, including preparing consortium documentation, project governance and structuring issues and advising on EOI and RFP documentation
- acting on the restructure of Australia’s largest supplier of pharmacy services to private hospitals and other facilities
- advising a ASX-listed healthcare company on the acquisition of several aged care facilities across Australia
- advising a for-profit healthcare company on the acquisition of a national community care business, including privately funded and government funded home care packages and the subsequent separation and divestment of the Department of Veteran’s Affairs community nursing and home care services business to a not-for-profit operator
- successfully defending industrial dispute proceedings for a State Government Health Department in an appeal case concerning the status of an industry association
- acting for the Victorian Government on the outsourcing of all primary, secondary and tertiary health services to prisons and other correctional services
- advising a global technology company on legal issues associated with supply and distribution of a diverse range of medical devices (including apps, consumer electronics and diagnostic imaging equipment) in Australia including application of the Therapeutic Goods Act and Medical Devices Regulations.
Awards and recognition
Lawyers in our healthcare sector team are recognised by Best Lawyers International in the ‘Health and Aged Care’ and ‘Retirement Villages and Senior Living’ categories, as well as in Chambers Asia Pacific, Legal 500 Asia Pacific and Doyle’s guide.
Lucille Scomazzon, Maddocks’ Healthcare Sector Leader, was recognised in the Best Lawyers International 2014 edition, as a Lawyer of the Year in Health & Aged Care.