“Maddocks is proud to be a trusted advisor to professional services businesses. In a sophisticated industry built on service, skill and expertise, our clients unashamedly depend on efficient, accurate and forthright legal advice.”
Julian Smith – Partner and Sector Leader – Professional Services
Professional Services firms and their clients are challenged by the need to manage the costs of regulatory creep while delivering results and value for stakeholders. Businesses must pursue these goals against a backdrop of compliance and red tape, and cost minimisation, while aiming to broaden the revenue base and remain agile in the market.
Our professional services clients rely on us to help them navigate an upswing in mid-market competitiveness, subdued markets for equity capital, and tight lending criteria. They need to be certain in the evaluation of strategic opportunities.
We have historical knowledge of the individual professional service firms and long standing relationships throughout the industry. Our lawyers offer the professional services sector:
- industry specific knowledge and experience to assist their clients and members
- a willingness to understand and listen to clients – to know their challenges and their goals
- exceptional understanding of the regulatory environment and regulatory drivers
- structuring for flexible, but clear and tax effective outcomes
- licensing, fund establishment and fund mergers
- strong transactional experience
- corporate structuring/restructuring
- business operations: employment, competition, intellectual property, IT and privacy
- stakeholder disputes, ADR and litigation
- insolvency and turn around management
- succession planning/estate planning/SMSFs.
We understand the lay of the land in professional services organisations. Our people appreciate that you want to deal with lawyers as part of multi-disciplinary teams, and recognise how you want your clients to be treated.
Our experience and regulatory understanding means we can deliver peace of mind when you are acting to minimise risk and expense. Our clear-thinking lawyers communicate with clarity and add value in helping you to meet your strategic objectives.
From the big end of town through to mid-market, here are some examples of our work:
- advising the receivers and managers of the FEA Group on the realisation of secured assets through management of numerous stakeholder groups including administrators, growers, financiers and creditors, and the implementation of the Group’s asset realisation strategy
- advising Grant Thornton on its organisational structure and assisting it with the achievement of strategic acquisitions and divestments, and management of stakeholder interests
- advising Esso Australia on the restructure and merger of its employee superannuation arrangements in ExxonMobil Super, including negotiation of transactional terms, navigation of the regulatory environment and APRA approval.
Working with us means engaging with responsive and enthusiastic professionals who are not afraid to ask the questions required to provide strategic, insightful advice. We remain current with the sector by actively participating in relevant associations and bodies, and look (and think) ahead to anticipate long-term opportunity and risk.
Our team stays connected with the industry though the following groups:
- Central Melbourne Insolvency Discussion Group
- Association of Superannuation Funds of Australia (ASFA)
- Tax Institute of Australia
- Institute of Chartered Accountants
- International Pension and Employee Benefits Lawyers Association (IPEBLA)
- Australian Private Equity and Venture Capital Association
- Financial Services Council
- Institute of Public Administration Australia
- International Women’s Insolvency & Restructuring Confederation
- Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Asia Pacific Loan Market Association
- Women in Super.