"Clients appreciate the TMT team's understanding of their specific needs, noting that it provides 'very good-quality work, paying close attention to the instructions', and that 'service levels are extremely good, and we always feel like they value our custom'.
—Chambers Asia 2017
"Just pleasant to deal with, nothing is too much trouble and they make it easy."
—Client feedback in Chambers Asia 2018
Our clients range from those who are building and providing essential communications infrastructure, providers of technology systems, content creators and owners, corporate and governments acquirers of technology and innovative market entrants.
Cyber and data resilience
Cybercrime and data breaches cost the Australian economy more than $4.5 billion annually and globally it is estimated to be around $120 billion. There is no doubt that cyber and data resilience is one of the top emerging risks for the 21st century, for both private and public organisations.
The Maddocks Cyber and Data Resilience team can assist by providing the full suite of legal advice to prepare your organisation. More information on how we can help is available on our Cyber and Data Resilience team page.
Telecommunications – we are at the forefront of change
Following one of the biggest overhauls in the telecommunications history in Australia, which led to significant change and transformation of the telecommunications landscape, industry participants are now coming to terms with the new telecommunications environment which includes the structural separation of Telstra and the roll out of the National Broadband Network (NBN). Maddocks has played an important and active role in helping our clients navigate their way around the new and changing telco reality.
We are known in the industry for working proactively with clients to achieve their regulatory objectives and help shape the direction of the telecommunications landscape. Our people recognise that many challenges lie ahead in achieving a vibrant and competitive telecommunications sector and we stand ready to work with our clients to achieve their objectives.
Media – we help create your ‘digital life’
As we live in an increasingly connected society how we distribute, access and store media and content is increasingly important to all businesses. Our team boasts experience in the broadcasting, recording and publishing industries, as well as in the distribution of a range of digital content, from music, electronic games to advertising content.
Our work with innovative clients has given our team particular expertise in the exploitation of digital content and technology, new distribution models and navigating the legal and regulatory issues relating to the cutting edge world of convergence and the new digital economy. We also have extensive experience working with business and Government on data issues related to the cloud and complex privacy issues. This means that our people are ideally placed to assist clients with their own ‘digital life’ and content strategy.
Technology – we help you transform your business
Technology products and services play a critical role in every organisation, in both the private and public sectors. Organisations simply cannot function without third party software, telecommunication systems and hardware.
Whether your business is procuring ‘business critical’ systems or ‘business as usual’ products and services, things can easily go wrong. Poorly managed technology procurement can lead to cost blow-outs, lengthy delays and axed jobs. They can cripple an organisation and bring an entire country to a standstill. On the flipside, successful technology projects can transform an organisation by facilitating the timely achievement of its goals, including, for example, improved customer service.
We’re focused on working closely with clients to transform their businesses through technology. Our team consists of some of Australia’s leading IT, Telecommunications and Outsourcing lawyers. We assist clients on all aspects of technology and business process outsourcings, hardware procurement and support, software licensing and support and telecommunications services. Our people hold experience acting for major technology suppliers and large customers in relation to complex technology transactions and outsourcing arrangements. We have particular knowledge in advising (both customers and suppliers) on the provision of information technology services under the Commonwealth and State Government standard information technology procurement frameworks (including GITC, SourceIT and ProcureIT). We also offer team members who have extensive experience dealing with regulated industries.
At Maddocks, we recognise the increasing synergies and convergence between communications, media and technology. We work collaboratively across these areas to offer our clients a highly integrated, unique and responsive approach to their TMT needs. We offer innovative, scalable legal advice in the following specialist areas:
- Complex technology contracting including IT and business process outsourcing and Government Procurement (with particular experience regarding GITC, SourceIT and ProcureIT)
- All aspects of telecommunications regulation and commercial matters including advising on regulatory and policy matters, drafting submissions and representation in relation to regulatory inquiries, advising on supply and interconnect agreements, strategic alliances, access disputes and arbitrations.
- Content creation and distribution (including in relation to digital content) as well as the protection and enforcement of IP rights
- All aspects of competition and consumer law, including advising on issues of anti-competitive conduct, assisting with ACCC investigations and designing and implementing compliance programs
- Privacy, including advice regarding data collection, compliance and cross border data transactions
- E-business & online transactions, including structuring of innovative business models, terms and conditions for online trading and legislative compliance
Our team also provides a range of other legal expertise to our technology, media and telco clients including employment, construction and projects, property and planning advice.
We are passionate about the sector and invest our time to foster industry knowledge and proactively engage with and support industry stakeholders such as Australian Communications Consumer Action Network (ACCAN) to help contribute the future direction of technology in Australia. We’re also proud of our award-winning sector expertise and to be recognised as thought leaders. Our lawyers are recognised legal industry experts.
Together with data protection and management experts Commvault, Maddocks has produced a series of practical guides to help you navigate the legal issues surrounding data management within your organisation.
Technology Procurement Handbook – is intended for any customer proposing to engage a vendor to provide technology related products and/or services. Click here for more information or to obtain a copy.
Awards and recognition
- Media Law International 2016, 2015 and 2014 – recommended for Media Law. Maddocks is “one to watch” say peers.
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2017 – recommended for Intellectual Property and IT and Telecoms.
- ACCOMS Awards – 2017 and 2016 Shortlisted for Services to the Industry, Professional Services Award. 2012 and 2010 Winners for Services to the Industry, Professional Services Award
- Chambers Asia Pacific 2017 – recommended for TMT: IT and Telecommunications
- Best Lawyers 2018 – recognised Jeff Goodall for Information Technology and Brendan Coady for Information Technology; Telecommunications
- CommsDay Edison Awards 2017 – Finalist Best Telecom Law Firm
- ILO Client Choice Award – Brendan Coady winner of the 2015, 2013 and 2012 Telecommunications Award for Australia.