Our Banking & Finance team acts for financiers, borrowers and other intermediaries, providing strategic advice and practical structuring solutions for all types of financial transactions.
We recognise that relationships are critical to understanding both financiers and borrowers’ requirements and pride ourselves on the strength of the relationships we have built in this sector. We value the trust clients place in us, relying on us to deliver robust, timely legal outcomes.
Our team understands the lending criteria and credit approval terms required to secure successful transactions. We work closely in partnership with financier clients to ensure adherence to credit parameters, to minimise unnecessary exposure to unwanted credit risk yet at the same time, being mindful of achieving successful commercial outcomes. We offer extensive expertise in the following areas:
- Property investment and development
- Corporate finance
- Capital markets
- Project and infrastructure finance
- Structured finance
- Regulation and compliance.
We act for the following major financiers:
- Australia and New Zealand Banking Group
- Bank of Queensland
- Bendigo and Adelaide Bank
- Commonwealth Bank of Australia
- Macquarie Bank
- MaxCap Group
- National Australia Bank
- Rabobank (Australia & New Zealand)
Our team has been involved in the following recent matters.
- acting for a big four bank and other syndicate lenders in connection with a US$550m cash advance facility provided to GS Coal Pty Limited for the acquisition of a 50.1% interest in the Clermont Joint Venture.
- advising on a $20m secured corporate and bank guarantee facility to JK Williams Group, a construction company located in Sydney.
- acting on a $30m mezzanine facility provided to the Action Hotel Group to refinance in part its existing $170m corporate facilities, including negotiating intercreditor arrangements with CBA, as the senior lender.
- advising on the corporate facilities provided to Anytime Fitness, including tripartite and acknowledgement arrangements with the Anytime Fitness US ‘head franchisor’.
- acting on an initial acquisition facility provided to Pemba Capital in relation to the acquisition of Pet Tech, subsequently acting in relation to acquisition facilities provided to the same group in connection with various ‘bolt on’ acquisition facilities and acting in relation to an IPO facility provided to the ReadyTech group in connection with ReadyTech’s listing on the ASX in April 2019.
- acting for various lenders in connection with syndicated and bilateral corporate facilities provided to Wesfarmers Limited.
- advising on financing the acquisition and construction of the Swanston Central apartment tower in Melbourne CBD.
- advising the largest independent investment bank in Malaysia on taking security over assets in Queensland as collateral security for a Malaysian Ringgit facility worth MYR 38,000,000.
- acting on a complex project participation funding deed arrangement with a prominent Victorian property developer on Stage 1 of a significant two stage development in South Melbourne.
- advising on a wide variety of mezzanine and preferred equity financing arrangements over security assets in VIC, NSW and QLD involving various levels of debt funding.
- advising Malaysia’s largest financial services group and leading banking group in South East Asia on taking security over Australian assets as collateral security for a Malaysian Ringgit facility worth MYR 60,000,000.
- advising on the funding of a preferred equity facility arrangement with a substantial Melbourne based greenfield residential area in the western suburbs of Melbourne, with a complex escrow arrangements on the overall securities having a value of $10m plus interest coupon.