‘The team you assembled was outstanding…you left no stone unturned and everyone went well beyond the extra mile. It was an absolute pleasure working with you all.’
Client feedback, September 2017
For some, disputes are a necessary element in the successful conduct of their business. For others, disputes can detract time, energy and resources away from their core activities.
If you find yourself in a dispute or facing litigation, our experienced legal team works to get the best result for you by:
- considering the options available to meet your objectives
- managing the dispute in a cost-conscious manner
- utilising innovative approaches wherever possible (including e-discovery, analytics and litigation support tools) to drive efficiency and creative solutions
- communicating the process at each and every step so that you understand what is happening at each stage and why.
At Maddocks, our focus is you. Our skilled lawyers are available when you need them and will work closely with you and your team to achieve the best possible outcome. We deliver considered, pragmatic advice. Working with us, you can expect value for money, delivered through practical, efficient solutions that will often extend beyond the strict legal issues.
Who we act for
Our lawyers have a strong track record in providing sound, practical advice to clients in the private and public sectors, including Commonwealth, state and local government, Australian and international organisations and individuals who are dealing with Australian-based disputes or litigation proceedings.
We successfully represent clients from the built environment, education, government, healthcare and technology sectors and have advised on disputes relating to challenges to government decisions, investigations and inquiries, directors duties, shareholder disputes and environmental and land issues. Our focus on these sectors and expertise in these areas means our lawyers have a deep understanding of the environments in which our clients operate. We know the players, the competitive drivers, the issues and the language for these sectors – and our advice is underpinned by this knowledge.
We aim to go beyond ‘black letter’ legal advice by providing clear recommendations and a course of action. Sometimes the nature of the dispute – or the other parties response to it – will leave few options for settlement. In other cases, the value of the disputing parties’ ongoing relationship will mean that they are keen to explore a resolution on mutually beneficial terms, allowing them to continue work together in the future. Our ability to adapt our approach depending on your desired outcome means that we can get the best result for you.
Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)
ADR is at the heart of our practice, not an optional add-on. We are experienced in all forms of ADR which often provides greater flexibility, reduced costs and a more timely and amicable resolution to your problems. We are committed to the principles that underlie the Civil Procedure Act and Model Litigant obligations and as such, our government and corporate clients can be confident that we will deal with claims promptly and keep costs to a minimum.
What we do
Our lawyers practise in the areas of:
- administrative law
- commercial and contractual disputes
- patent and copyright
- shareholder and joint venture disputes
- competition and consumer law
- consumer markets and franchising
- defamation and reputation management
- personal injury and professional negligence claims
- regulatory inquiries and investigations – including by ASIC, ICAC, ACCC, Australian Crime Commission
- wills and estates disputes
- Royal commissions, Coronial inquests and inquiries
- class actions
- property disputes
- alternative dispute resolution
- tax disputes and investigations
- land and environment disputes
- water disputes
- sports disputes
- Acting on a major telecommunications network access matter
- Advising in Royal Commissions and inquiries
- Advising on class actions
Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2015-2019 Ranked for Dispute Resolution
- “Maddocks ‘reliable, responsive and on-point’ practice has well-rounded commercial litigation capabilities”
- “…is particularly known for representing government departments at federal, state and local level”
Doyle’s Guide – Recommended