As a firm with a strong focus on government and administrative law, Maddocks regularly advises clients on Freedom of Information (FOI) and privacy matters.
More than 30 of our partners and lawyers work with FOI and privacy issues on a weekly basis and numerous other lawyers across the firm carry out FOI and privacy work for their clients from time to time.
How can we help?
- advising on the interpretation and application of state and Commonwealth FOI legislation
- advising on the full cycle of an FOI request, from the commencement of the original request through to subsequent review of the government’s decision at the relevant tribunal
- advising on the interaction between Commonwealth and/or state FOI legislation and the relevant privacy legislation, and the relationship between the government’s obligations under the FOI legislation and confidentiality obligations
- advising on a broad range of other privacy related activities, including compliance with relevant legislation, tribunal hearings, privacy audits, tailored training, and preparing and reviewing privacy policies and related documents
- conducting seminars for government departments, statutory authorities and councils on the broad principles of FOI and privacy and their practical application
In addition, we have dedicated personnel focused on processing and reviewing documents which are subject to an FOI request. We also have FOI-specific databases that enable our clients to access and review documents and to redact documents electronically over many sites across Australia. Our systems can manage the largest FOI requests involving thousands of documents.