Maddocks advises on all aspects of licensing and disciplinary inquiries, offering a team with a deep understanding of the processes of regulatory bodies and, in particular, their activities in licensing, compliance and enforcement.
We have a strong appreciation of the importance of complaints management and service delivery to the public by regulators, and detailed knowledge of the administrative laws applying to disciplinary tribunals and boards.
How can we help?
Our services include:
- advising on complaints and evidence to support disciplinary proceedings
- drafting allegations for disciplinary inquiries
- advising on suspension pending inquiries including on politically sensitive and public interest issues
- acting as counsel assisting in disciplinary hearings or, where appropriate, instructing counsel
- acting in merits and judicial review proceedings from decisions of disciplinary boards
- acting in disciplinary matters in both an employment context and an occupational licensing context
- preparing manuals which offer guidance to board members on the hearing of disciplinary inquiries, powers and functions and issues such as natural justice and drafting reasons
- providing training to board members on their powers and functions when hearing disciplinary inquiries
- advising on licensing / registration issues including decision-making, conditions, revocation of licence/registration and appeals
- advising on policy and legislative amendments to enhance disciplinary powers
- prosecuting title breaches and other licensing-related offences
- advising on ‘non-prosecution’ enforcement such as the issuing of infringements, notices / orders or seeking enforceable undertakings
- training for investigation / complaints officers on managing complaints, gathering evidence and preparing briefs.