In 2008, Maddocks recognised that deep expertise in sustainability and climate change issues would be an important requirement for both our private and public sector clients. We actively sought to bring together some of the best minds in the country in this field through the establishment of our dedicated Sustainability and Climate Change Team.
Today, the team offers a broad range of commercial, regulatory and planning and environment expertise to focus on sustainability, emissions trading, climate change, water and energy.
In addition to partners and lawyers from all relevant disciplines, the Maddocks team includes professionals with outstanding reputations in this area, such as former Deputy Premier of Victoria, John Thwaites, and former Director of Enforcement and Compliance for the Australian Energy Regulator, Dariel De Sousa.
How can we help?
The Maddocks Sustainability and Climate Change Team regularly advises on:
- climate change law and policy, including the Australian Government’s Clean Energy Future legislative package, the Carbon Price Scheme, the National Greenhouse and Energy Reporting Scheme, and the Renewable Energy Target Scheme
- regulatory requirements applicable to sustainability projects, including Carbon Farming Initiative projects and green building and infrastructure projects
- industry and business assistance programs
- strategic planning to achieve better climate change and sustainability outcomes
- climate change adaptation, including flood control, sea-level rise and energy efficiency
- water-sensitive urban design projects – water policy and legislative advice
- environmental marketing, including clean energy claims
- renewable energy projects, including regulatory frameworks, development issues and financing.