Australia is the world’s driest continent and the crippling drought presently affecting most of the country dramatically underscores the increasing importance of careful planning and management of our limited water resources.
Adding to this the issues of climate change, population growth and increasing competition for access to scarce water resources, means that strategic planning for and effective management of Australian water resources is vital for the environment, secure supply of sound water, health of people and for economic development, and will continue to be a critical concern for governments and business across Australia.
In Victoria the State’s Integrated Water Management Framework and catchment management policy and legislation have for more than 20 years played an essential role in meeting the community’s water objectives.
In New South Wales, the Water Management Act 2000 and associated Water Sharing Plans establish a framework for the application and grant of water use and management approvals, and the governance of water allocations and rights.
Maddocks has a strong focus on water and our water practice draws on resources from across the firm to offer advice and legal services to all levels of government, to water companies and agencies and to clients in the private sector.
These include services relating to:
- Acquisition and trading of water interests
- Acting for water authorities in managing complex legal issues arising from their administration of water infrastructure, the distribution and access to public water resources
- Commercial and corporate services
- Construction and upgrade of water infrastructure assets
- Dispute resolution and litigation in relation to a wide spectrum of water issues
- Employment, IR and Discrimination
- Environmental compliance including contamination and remediation
- Investment in water and wastewater infrastructure including the construction, storage, regulation and distribution of water and wastewater resources
- Land acquisition and compensation
- Land use planning
- OHS, Public Safety, Inquests and Crisis Management
- Sewage and trade waste licences and agreements
- Water for residential and commercial developments
- Water legislation governing the regulation, risk allocation and management of water resources in each of the Australian states
- Water pollution and incident management and remediation