Lindy has more than 12 years’ experience in advising on employment law. Her areas of focus include industrial relations, employment law, anti-discrimination and occupational health and safety law.
Lindy has advised clients from the private sector and from all levels of government in both Victoria and New South Wales. She is acutely aware of the environment within which government employers work. She is familiar with Model Litigant Guidelines and Codes of Conduct at all levels of government and understands the need to maintain impeccable standards of probity and ethical behaviour.
She has significant experience in all employment-related litigation, including Fair Work Australia (formerly the Australian Industrial Relations Commission), the Federal Court, the Federal Magistrates Court and VCAT.
- Industrial relations
- Employment law
- Anti-discrimination law
- Occupational health and safety law
- Advised a Victorian Department on many claims of discrimination on the basis of disability. Work involved assisting the client at VCAT and the Federal Court of Australia.
- Provided ongoing advice to clients on the interpretation of industrial instruments and contracts of employment. Work included drafting and implementing contracts of employment and enterprise agreements.
- Advised an accounting company on employment issues in connection with the receivership situation of a major corporation. Work involved urgent and complex advice on employment-related issues under the Corporations Act 2001, the engagement of independent contractors and advice on transfer of business and redundancies.
- Assisted several metropolitan councils on outsourcing, insourcing and transfers of business. Work included complex advice on the transfer of business provisions under the Fair Work Act, interpretation of industrial instruments (including obligations to consult and provide redeployment/ redundancies) and provision of strategic advice on dealing with unions, employee grievances and communications strategies.
- Advised clients on conciliations and mediations at all courts and tribunals including Fair Work Australia, the NSW Industrial Relations Commission, the Federal Magistrates Court, and the Australian Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission.
- Conducted fact finding investigations into grievances and complaints, including by the taking of statements from internal and external witnesses.